HanYou, your Chinese learning companion. The app you need to become fluent in Mandarin or Cantonese
HanYou is an offline Chinese dictionary, translator and optical recognizer designed to help you read, speak and learn Chinese.
HanYou's dictionary is extensive, fast, and delivers Chinese word details into more than 20 target languages. You can input words in any language, alphabet, or by drawing. In particular, find relevant definitions and Chinese-English translations whether you learn Chinese for fun or prepare for the HSK.
HanYou's powerful offline Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine can recognize more than 13 000 Chinese characters in your pictures or with your device camera.
HanYou helps you improve your Chinese with flashcards. Flashcards are a powerful and enjoyable way to learn new words. Based on your learning statistics, you will be shown everyday a deck of flashcards tailored for you.
HanYou features advanced Chinese text analysis. Paste or write some Chinese text and the text analyzer will break sentences into words and display their pinyins.
Unique social feature: whenever you have trouble with some Chinese, you can always ask a question or post a picture on the HanYou wall. HanYou's users, from beginner to advanced level, will come to help you.
• More than 20 target languages available: English, Japanese, German, French, Hungarian, Thai, Italian, Arabic, Korean and more
• Search Chinese words from in any kind of input: Traditional / Simplified / Pinyins / Jyutping (Cantonese)
• Listen to the Mandarin and Cantonese pronunciation of words and sentences through the "Speak" function
• You can also search the other way and input foreign words in the search bar
• Handwriting Recognition
• Intuitive Radical search
• Search words that either start with / end with / contain the query word
• More than 10 thousands example sentences built from various sources
• Build vocabulary lists of Chinese words (which you can share as files or text in many ways)
OPTICAL CHARACTER RECOGNITION (OCR):
• A powerful Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine which lets you translate Chinese characters in images
• HanYou recognizes more that 13000 Chinese characters
• HanYou recognizes both Traditional and Simplified characters
• You can recognize Chinese text with your Live Camera or on Still Pictures (from your camera roll)
• Read either horizontal or vertical Chinese text
STUDY WITH FLASHCARDS:
• You can learn words in a fun way with flashcards. Pick up any deck from the pre-built lists or from your own lists and history, then start learning them with flashcards
• Everyday, a new deck is built based on your learning statistics in order to optimise your memorising power
• Paste some text, or import it from the OCR modes, into the text analyzer to get definitions of each word in the text
• Pinyins are also displayed automatically
• Listen to the Chinese text with the "Speak" function
OPEN SAFARI WEB PAGES:
• In Safari, tap the "Share / Export" button to open the web page in HanYou. All Chinese words will be added pinyin and you will be able to tap on each of them to have a popup definition
• Get help from the user community by sharing pictures on the HanYou Wall
We are very responsive to your feedback and suggestions: email@example.com
• Bug fixes and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I suggest the app Can include some synonyms in Chinese and more details about the definition. Other wise great!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. The next update coming in a few days will have more detailed definitions :). Edit: update available!
App currently crashes when opened to camera :(
Hope the devs see this, but the app crashes on my phone as soon as it launches and begins trying to process characters. If I cover the camera and switch to another mode, then it turns out ok, but since I got this app specifically for the camera mode this is a bit of a dealbreaker. Not sure if it’s just my device but hope it gets resolved soon! Otherwise great app.
Edit: The developers have been extremely helpful in trying to track down the issues, best experience I’ve ever had with an app dev. Updating the rating as they find the problem, and in the meantime still good to use the image upload vs live camera recognition!
Developer Response ,
Hi Vincent. Thank you very much for reporting this bug. We are investigating the issue now but we have trouble to reproduce it. Would you mind send us more details (like a screen recording?) at firstname.lastname@example.org please? Thank you very much.
Not worth the money at all. Don’t buy
You can get all of the features of this app in other apps that won’t cost you. A review from two years ago complains about how the translator won’t accurately translate sentences, and the developers even responded and said they were going to get it fixed. It’s been two years and the translator still does not work. Pleco is a much better dictionary and just about every function of this app has a better, free counterpart. Even the camera translator that is its supposed claim to fame is worse than Wechat’s camera translator. Final thought: don’t waste your money like I did on this mediocre app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your detailed review. We understand that you can find free equivalent of some features. But here we are providing an overall offline Chinese dictionary app which delivers all of them in one place. For instance the dictionary displays severals sources, such as CEDict, Wikidata and Wordnet. The only other dictionary app on par with HanYou is Pleco, which is definitely a great dictionary, but the basic dictionary database of Pleco's free version just shows you the CEDict definitions, and you have to pay more than the whole HanYou Pro version price to unlock any single interesting feature. And still, HanYou has some unique features, such as the text analyzer or the possibility to add pinyin in Safari. Also, we have recently added a translator model for translating whole Chinese sentences, still without requiring an internet connection. Regarding the camera translator, we didn't claim to fame anywhere. Text detection and recognition is a really hard task. We've taken years to build our algorithms but they aren't flawless of course. You can always try to build you own text recognition algorithm then you will certainly change your opinion,
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nomad AI OU
- 247.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2014-2020 Nomad AI OU
- In-App Purchases
- HanYou Full $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.