HanYou is an offline Chinese dictionary, translator and optical recognizer designed to help you read and learn Chinese.
HanYou's powerful offline Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine can recognize more than 13 000 Chinese characters in your pictures or with your device camera.
Chinese text is detected, recognized and parsed into words instantly. Detailed information of each word and Chinese character is then provided such as their pronunciation (pinyins) and their definition in more than 20 target languages.
HanYou also has a built-in drawing feature for you to draw and translate Chinese characters on your touch-screen with very high accuracy.
HanYou is the perfect companion to help you read books, mangas, signs, menu, and improve your Chinese reading skills while enjoying your favorite reading material.
Unique social feature: whenever you have trouble with some Chinese, you can always ask a question or post a picture on the HanYou wall. HanYou's users, from beginner to advanced level, will come to help you.
• More than 20 target languages available: English, Japanese, German, French, Hungarian and more
• Search Chinese words from in any kind of input: Traditional / Simplified / Pinyins
• You can also search the other way and input foreign words in the search bar
• Handwriting Recognition
• Intuitive Radical search
• Search words that either start with / end with / contain the query word
• More than 10 thousands example sentences built from various sources
• Build vocabulary lists of Chinese words (which you can share as files or text in many ways)
• Listen to the Chinese pronunciation of words and sentences through the "Speak" function
OPTICAL CHARACTER RECOGNITION (OCR):
• A powerful Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine which lets you translate Chinese characters in images
• HanYou recognizes more that 13000 Chinese characters
• HanYou recognizes both Traditional and Simplified characters
• You can recognize Chinese text with your Live Camera or on Still Pictures (from your camera roll)
• Read either horizontal or vertical Chinese text
• Add Pinyins in Safari! Whenever you are browsing on a web page with Chinese text, tap the "share" button at the bottom and select "HanYou Add Pinyins" to display all pinyins
• Paste some text, or import it from the OCR modes, into the text analyzer to get definitions of each word in the text
• Pinyins are also displayed automatically
• Listen to the Chinese text with the "Speak" function
• Get help from the user community by sharing pictures on the HanYou Wall
We are very responsive to your feedback and suggestions: email@example.com
***New feature !***
• Today's list: Everyday get a list of meaningful words extracted from daily Chinese news articles. With each word, you can see and read the source article (with the possibility to add pinyins to ease the reading)
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
OCR is always a tricky thing. This app does a pretty bang up job, but has difficulty with certain things such as text and background contrast, stylized text such as calligraphy font and extra thick fonts, and characters with lots of strokes. One such example is 臺灣. It performs best on plain text containing thin lines and when live detection is turned off. You must also have very steady hands and sufficient light when taking snapshots. I wish it were possible for the camera's flash to function while using it either as a flash or as a flashlight. However, you can get around this by taking a picture using the camera app and then accessing the camera roll from this app.
Unlike another reviewer's comment, I did find that this app is capable of recognizing terms consisting of two or more characters that are compounded. It can read vertically as well.
All in all I do recommend this app and look forward to further improvements. One thing I would like to see is the ability to have spoken audio for the read text.
Not worth the money at all. Don’t buy
You can get all of the features of this app in other apps that won’t cost you. A review from two years ago complains about how the translator won’t accurately translate sentences, and the developers even responded and said they were going to get it fixed. It’s been two years and the translator still does not work. Pleco is a much better dictionary and just about every function of this app has a better, free counterpart. Even the camera translator that is its supposed claim to fame is worse than Wechat’s camera translator. Final thought: don’t waste your money like I did on this mediocre app.
Developer Response ,
Wow ok... thank you for your detailed review. We understand that you can find free equivalent of most features. We are just trying to provide an overall offline Chinese dictionary app which delivers all of them in one place. Since the last two years, we have improved the app a lot. For instance the dictionary displays severals sources, such as CEDict, Wikidata and Wordnet. Pleco is definitely a very good dictionary, but the basic dictionary database of the free version just shows you the CEDict definitions, and you have to pay more than the whole HanYou app price to unlock any single interesting feature.
And still, we believe that HanYou has some unique features, such as the text analyzer or the possibility to add pinyins in Safari.
Also, we have recently added a translator model for translating whole Chinese sentences, still without requiring an internet connection. This may not give you perfect translations but this can be helpful and took us years to develop.
Anyway, we are going to continue improve the app based on your review. Since you seem to be very well aware of the Chinese language apps, we would really appreciate to have more detailed feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also assist you to get a refund if needed.
I love this app, it helps very much! I get to confirm when I do my chinese homework and I’m finally glad I found something free to help translate using a photo!!!
- Nomad AI OU
- 182.9 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2014-2019 Nomad AI OU
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.