Heavy Brass delivers the most flexible and innovative approach to modern brass sounds ever provided by a virtual MIDI instrument!¹ With this ultimate brass app your productions and live performances will gain such powerful and amazing tone you previously were only able to retrieve from a real brass section!
This app contains the following instruments: Trumpet, Trombone and Saxophone sampled in four different brass sections.
Watch and listen to the demo video on our product website!
Minimum requirement: at least iPad 3 / iPad Air 1 / iPad mini 2.
This app supports Audio Unit v3, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus, so you can directly use it with other apps as well! External MIDI keyboards and controllers are supported as well of course, both via Lightning/USB cable connection, as well as wireless via Bluetooth LE MIDI.¹
There are 3 fundamental sound categories: „Singles“, „Switches“ and „Combis“, where „Switch Sounds“ allow you to either switch or crossfade between configurable articulations. Some „Combi Sounds“ allow you to switch or crossfade between predefined articulations as well.
24 Single Sounds:
Solo Trumpet, Solo Sax, Solo Trombone, Heavy Brass 1-4, Section 1, Section 2, Section 3, Section 4, Crescendo, Growl, Doiks, Shaker 1, Shaker 2, Staccato 1, Staccato 2, Staccato Sax 1, Staccato Sax 2, Falls 1, Falls 2, Falls 3, Falls 4.
Five base sounds: Section 1, Section 2, Section 3, Section 4 and Crescendo, which are switchable or crossfadeable to four alternative articulations: Shaker, Growl, Doiks or Falls.
16 Combi Sounds:
Sections Velocity Layer 1, Sections Velocity Layer 2, Sections Velocity Layer 3, Sections Velocity Layer 4, Sections Velocity Layer 5, Sections Velocity Layer 6, Sections Modwheel Layer 1, Sections Modwheel Layer 2, Staccato Layer 1, Staccato Layer 2, Staccato Round Robin 1, Staccato Round Robin 2, Staccato Round Robin 3, Sections & Staccato Round Robin 1, Sections & Staccato Round Robin 2, Sections & Staccato Round Robin 3.
• Low latency disk streaming.
• Polyphony up to several hundred stereo voices.²
• Configurable audio latency down to 1 ms.
• Integrated effects with 18 presets.
• App States: Save app's entire state as user presets.
• 16 parts.
• Provides Audio Unit v3 plugin version of this app, which allows it to be used as virtual instrument directly within third-party multi-track DAW apps.
• Support for Apple's "Inter-App Audio" system.
• Audiobus support.
• MIDI velocity response curve editor.
• Master Tune & Scale Tuning.
• App can keep running in the background, so you can play on your keyboard while e.g. using Safari or another app to display scores or surfing the Internet.
• Virtual on-screen piano keyboard with velocity support, scalable & scrollable.
MIDI Player / Recorder:
• Record, save and load your songs in standard MIDI file format.
• Share your songs easily as audio file.
• Unlimited amount of tracks.
• Configurable target MIDI channel per track.
• Unlimited recording and playback length.
• Open MIDI (.mid) files directly from other apps (i.e. from Safari, Mail).
• Download or upload MIDI files with iTunes.
• Load your favorite songs as MIDI files from the Internet, and watch at the virtual keyboard how to play it.
• Use the "Tempo Zoom" dial knob to i.e. slow down playback at any time and learn your favorite songs more easily.
¹ For more information about adapters and connecting external MIDI keyboards: https://doc.crudebyte.com/iOS/External_MIDI_devices/
² Various sounds are using several voices per note. Polyphony depends on the exact device model being used. You find a polyphony table on our product website.
This update provides the following software correction:
• Fixes a crash which could sometimes happen when switching between sounds (affected both, stand-alone app and Audio Unit plugin).
Ratings and Reviews
Works on Linnstrument!!!
This app works very well with the Linnstrument controller. The app is stable most of the time, but I have experienced some crashing. I really am impressed with the sounds. I would like the developer to expand the sound set even more. Admittedly, this is one of the first set of this type that I own. The user interface seems intuitive at first glance, but sometimes it’s hard to know which sounds you’ve selected due to the multiple layers selected. In other words, sometimes I just want to pick a single sound and find instead multiple layers playing. The reverbs and the echoes effects are a nice touch. These effects are simple, intuitive and very useful, although basic. Please fix the “pitch bend range” toggle to be less tedious! If more sounds were added and issues fixed I would give 5 stars. Overall, this is a nice addition and worth the money.
Keyboard needs to be bigger
I love the sounds on this app. Absolutely fantastic.
Nut I like to record using the iPad and the keyboard on the app is just too small to use fingers to form chords. Love to see a keyboard mode that you could use after choosing the sounds you want to work with
Thanks for listening
Sounds are terrific
This is as good as iSymphony Orchestra for way less money. I hope it works in MainStage, that would be ideal. Long ago in Florida I spent an evening listening to a guy playing a hard ware synth that had a great trombone section effect, and since getting my iPad Pro I have been trying synths to get that. With iSymph and Heavy Brass, I’m there at last. Yay!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Christian Schoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte
- 377.7 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2021 Crudebyte
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.