Hello Transcribe is a private and secure speech to text transcriber that uses OpenAI Whisper and Whisper.cpp.
• All processing is done on-device for 100% privacy, and it also works offline.
• Saved results are encrypted in iCloud.
• Transcribe voice notes (e.g. WhatsApp), podcasts, or any audio file (many formats supported).
• Use multiple Model Configs to choose between fast or accurate transcription (even on-the-fly).
• Dictate text or do live transcription using the microphone.
• Transcribe MP4 video.
• Export VTT or SRT files to add subtitles to video.
• Supports many languages.
* Translate audio from many languages to English.
- Fix crash for devices without Metal support & revert to CPU
- Upgrade to Whisper.cpp 1.5.1
- Add support for Cantonese for Large V3.
- Fix Hebrew language bug.
- Support for Whisper 1.5 with Metal and removal of CoreML. Big performance improvement over CoreML but a massive speed improvement for Medium and Large (which didn't have CoreML). On an M1 Max a 400% increase for Large. On an iPhone 14 Pro 100% increase for Medium.
- Support new Large-V3 model from OpenAI.
- Support beam search size of 0 (= Greedy).
- New fast abort mechanism (will abort or stop immediately where before it could take a long time when using big model).
Ratings and Reviews
Convenient, although text saving could be better
I really do enjoy the convenience of this app, as I was previously recording voice clips and then manually processing them through the Whisper local model on my PC - this is much faster.
I do have one complaint though - it’s very easy to lose your transcribed text once you’re finished recording. I’ve created an iOS shortcut to pipe my text into ChatGPT to turn it into markdown-formatted documentation, and the dictation controls are confusing enough that it’s easy to accidentally discard five minutes worth of dictated notes. Could you possibly add an option to automatically save dictated text, and view those files later? That would make this app 5 stars to me.
Developer Response ,
Sorry about the data loss, and yes this is in the pipeline. I'm going to rework the data handling soon and will save intermediate transcriptions locally. This may require an upgrade to iOS 17 when it is released because I want to use the new SwiftData frameworks.
I’ve been waiting too long for apple to bring AI to voice memos but they haven’t done anything about it yet. I like that it uses whisper locally but would also have the option to just record audio and then let it transcribe overnight when I’m not using the phone (this could also enable us to use larger models since the transcription doesn’t need to be real-time); this in turn should allow me to search later through my recordings and when I tap on a word from the search result it should move the audio player cursor to that position, please implement something like this! Thanks, it’s almost there
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the support! On iOS it's not possible to run transcriptions in the background because of restrictions from Apple, so unfortunately you can only run those workflows on the Mac.
The next major version will have the cursor as you describe! With searchable text.
Gamechanger for journaling!
This app is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for! As someone who relies on journaling/freewriting for everything—from internal reflections to business brainstorming—I’ve wished for an effective voice-to-text solution.
Other apps either lacked live dictation or were really inaccurate (looking at you, Siri). Hello Transcribe, however, has been a lifesaver! Now, I can freewrite on-the-go, while walking or driving or washing dishes. The hours I’m reclaiming, and the creative surge I’m experiencing, are simply monumental.
And feeding these transcriptions into ChatGPT has been incredible - giving me summaries, turning rambling thoughts into article drafts, emails, action items (and even app reviews 😉). And surprisingly, it even runs in near-real-time on my old iPhone X!
I do have 2 suggestions though: the ‘clear’ button is dangerously close to ‘pause’. Wish there was a confirmation prompt. And an option to keep the screen awake during recording would be really nice.
But even still, this app, especially at its price point, is perfect to me. Thanks for creating this Ben!
Developer Response ,
I've added a confirmation prompt for clearing the dictation in version 3 - should come out soon!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ben Nortier
- 105.7 MB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 BJ Nortier
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Subscription $1.99
- Pro Purchase $6.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.