Hexer is a desktop level hex viewer packed with features. It was developed from the ground up for iOS and iPadOS. It is natural and intuitive to use for everyone. It is integrated with the Files app. So you can browse Dropbox, Google Drive, your git repositories, your downloads, your documents in iCloud Drive or your desktop. Or you can just share any file to it.
Bytes are highlighted in different colors: Printable characters are cyan, spaces blue, null bytes grey, control characters pink and so on. The colors appear across the binary, hexadecimal, and ascii column — or can just be turned off completely.
▶ Many advanced options
• Many popular themes from text editors and terminals
• Line numbers (offsets)
• Complete control over the formatting of what you copy or share
• Column counts in powers of two (8 bytes, 16, 32, ...) or in any number that fits
• Interpret bytes as ASCII, ISO Latin 1 or EBCDIC
• The UI is navigable by keyboard and there are keyboard shortcuts to toggle almost everything
• Further features for you to discover
• Search for content in the hexadecimal, ASCII or binary column
• Preview results with context and jump to and highlight them in the document
• Filter results with Regular Expression and based on case sensitivity
• Jump between results with arrow keys
• Get information about the selection or the entire document
• Decode to integers
• See byte frequencies
• See detected file signatures (magic numbers)
• Read metadata like creation date and Unix permissions
▶ The App is made by a real person out of love
When you buy the app (no hidden in app purchases) the money goes straight to me to support development. If you have any questions or feature requests you can just write me an email and let me know. I will continue development with many more planned features like editing.
▶ The App is friendly
There are no in app purchases, ads, tracking, nor is there any data collected. You buy it once and then use it. Nothing more. Nothing less.
This version brings new icons as well as many medium and small improvements including new features.
Search Filters and Improvements:
• Filter ASCII search with RegEx and select case sensitivity
• Share search results
• Select search results in the document
Jump to Offset:
• Jump to a given hexadecimal offset
• Highlight the byte at the given index
• Select one of multiple codepages
• Support for ASCII, ISO Latin, and EBCDIC
• Select multiple syntax themes for each
• Classic HexFiend and HexDump modes
• View metadata in analysis tab
• Inspect UTI, creation date, modification date and Unix Permissions
iPadOS Cursor Support:
• Cursor snaps accurately to bytes
• Cursor snaps to byte frequencies
• Added secondary click options to many buttons
• New app icons!
• New “Shaded of Purple” theme
• Alternating rows option
• Indicate currently open sidebar
• Change sidebar color to resemble iWork apps
• Increase sidebar width
• Removed sidebar slideover mode
• Indicated byte in frequency grid
• Changed some contrasts for accessibility
• Linked new website and mail
• Further small design tweaks
Bug Fixes and Improvements:
• Removed a bunch of crashes and memory leaks
• Improved performance when scrolling and resizing in a variety of ways
• Restored ability to launch on M1 Macs
• Decreased app size
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent and versatile file viewer
It says hex, but you can view in binary and ASCII as well. The app is really well thought out with nice features such as:
- strong search facility with REGEX
-you can select different types of views with just a tap
-A real bonus is all the relevant file information that is provided by the app.
I would give it five stars except for a minor, but annoying, bug which I have reported to the developer. I'm running the latest version of iOS 14 and the caps lock and num lock features on the keyboard do not work with this app.
Instead of staying locked, they switch back to their default positions. So if I turn on caps lock and type "b" I get a "B". But all the following Characters are lowercase, and you can see The caps lock turn off. Same thing with num lock. You get one number and then the keyboard switch is back to alpha.
All in all, it is still the best file viewer I have found for iOS and it's right up there with the best file viewers I have used on windows and Linux. It does look like the developer is making regular updates, so that's great. I appreciate that he has a link to send bugs and feature requests.
Great, but waiting for edit functionality
Very polished. Looks good. Works well. In fact an effectively replacement for Files app? Just wish I could actually edit files. Changing extensions names too would be great. 3.5/5 for now
Works well, beautiful design
The app is fast and responsive even with large files, the search tool is very usable and the theming is pleasant.
I would like to request float and double BE/LE be added to the Decoding section of the Analysis view.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hans Schulein
- 6.1 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Hans Schülein
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.