Hidden History turns the streets you walk along into the museum you never knew existed!
We combine original historical research and GPS technology to provide a unique way for you to explore the History of the United Kingdom (UK). Our dedicated team of historians, research each location and topic to uncover the real history behind the landmarks, locations and events that have shaped the world we live in. All of this is shared with you at either individual locations or through wider pieces explaining the full historical detail behind a subject.
We aim to give you the full story of what truly happened, not just a repeat of popular myths - we can promise you will find the real stories more emotive, powerful and inspiring than the myths – as well as giving you the capability to visit the locations where it all happened. We believe that by combing the story with the location together in this way gives you a unique way to connect with the past.
Hidden History also provides introductions and reviews of museums, galleries and historic attractions. As well as the 'big' museums, we also highlight museums and experiences that are not on the average tourist's radar. These places are incredible to visit, as they tend to give you a closer view of a period of time or a subject. They also they tend to be quitter with fewer visitors. In the guides you will find everything you need to plan your day out from opening times all the way through to disability access.
Who is the app for?
- Lovers of history – Hidden History has been built by people who love history for people who love history.
- City Breakers – The app is ideal for anyone on a City Break in London, Edinburgh, Liverpool and York as it’s enables you to explore the city completely independently. We have even included public toilets on the app so you don’t get caught short as you explore!
- Day out Hunters – The reviews of the museums, galleries and historic locations give you all the information you need to plan a day out.
1. All content is original & written by our team of dedicated historians who provide you with the real story.
2. Main articles on key historical events such as the Suffragette movement, Jack the Ripper, the IRA’s bombing campaign, The Krays, London’s Plague pits & the Windrush Generation.
3. Three Audio walking tours on Jack The Ripper, The Great Fire of London and Shopping, Style and Suffrage enable you to independently explore London.
4. Interactive map to help you find over 200 individual historical locations.
5. Museums to visit with reviews and visitor information from across London including Freemasons Hall, the National Army Museum, and the Museum of London.
6. Available in London, Edinburgh, Liverpool & York alongside another 60 sites outside of the major cities.
Connect with Us:
Like us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram under hidden1history
Have a question or feedback? We’d love to hear from you at -> firstname.lastname@example.org
- Permission Notices -
Login: We request you to register and login into the app so we can provide any purchased content on any other devices you have the app installed on.
Location: We need to access your location information to calculate the route and distance between you and each historical site of interest.
Access to Maps: We use Google maps to provide directions to you and you will be asked for permission to ask the map when you request directions.
- General Note -
Battery Disclaimer: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
All free to access images are provided under the creative commons license and attributed under each image.
Hello History Hunters, in this release we bring you..
- New registration and login process added to enable you to access any in-app purchases you have made on any other device you have the app installed on. You can still access all of the free content without having to register.
- Audio Walking Tours added to enable you to independently explore London and find some new history to enjoy.
- The tours are... The Great Fire of London, Jack The Ripper and Shopping, Style & Suffrage. All threes are accessed via an in-app purchase.
- We squashed a few bugs and cleared out some empty fileds to make finding History that little bit easier
- We have made a number of improvements to the flow of the app and the linkage between the articles, locations and map to make it easier to explore the history.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app is such a great idea and we loved using it!
In-App PurchasesSee All
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Hidden History Limited
- 46.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Hidden History - 2020
- In-App Purchases
- The Great Fire of London $2.99
- Jack the Ripper Audio Tour $2.99
- Shopping, Style & Suffrage $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.