Hip Licks for Saxophone is designed to help saxophonists develop fluency in the jazz language by providing mainstream jazz vocabulary (swing/bop/post-bop) that nails the changes and lays great on the horn.
Think of Hip Licks for Saxophone as a musical reference application, like a dictionary of great licks in all twelve keys, available when you need it. You can open the application to any page and just start playing.
Need something that will help you sound like a total pro while playing over the most challenging keys and chord progressions? Hip Licks for Saxophone is an indispensable resource that can immediately show you how a professional player would approach those tough keys and chord progressions.
Custom User Interface
This application features a customized user interface that makes this application fun and easy to use. When you launch the application, you’ll see a menu window that lets you choose to read through the entire contents of Hip Licks, page by page without the play-along tracks, or to load each set of licks with the accompanying play-along track. All page turns are automatic, and synchronized with the play-along track.
To start playing a sax demo track, simply click on the saxophone icon on the lower left side of the display, and the track will immediately begin to play.
To start playing a rhythm-section-only track, simply click on the drum icon on the lower right side of the display, and the track will immediately begin to play.
Special Features of Hip Licks for Saxophone Volume 2 by Greg Fishman:
• 120 Hip Licks – Each lick is unique and customized for each key, based on the best timbre, register and playability on the horn.
• All fast tempo licks (above 184 BPM) include both Slow Tempo and Fast Tempo Play-Along Tracks.
• Hip Licks for Saxophone Volume 2 features great licks over the following chord progressions:
• V7#11 chords [C7#11] x 12 keys
• ii mi7 / V7 [C mi7 / F7 ] x 12 keys
• ii mi7b5 / V7b9 [C mi7b5 / F7b9] x 12 keys
• iv mi7 / bVII7 / I Maj7 ( 2 bar and 4 bar phrases) [F mi7 / Bb7 / C Maj7] x 12 keys
• b vi mi7 / bII7 / I Maj7 [Ab mi7 / Db7 / C Maj7] x 12 keys
• #iv mi7 / VII7 / I Maj7 [F#mi7 / B7 / CMaj7 x 12 keys
• Turnaround Licks (4 beats per chord – 4 bar phrases [C Maj7 / A7b9 / Dmi7 / G7] x 12 keys
• V7#9#5 / i mi [C7#9#5 / F mi ] x 12 keys
• Turnaround Licks (2 beats per chord – 8 bar phrases] [C Maj7 Ami7 / Dmi7 G7 ] x 12 keys
• Interactive Call and Response Format, perfect for ear training and developing your musical memory. Each lick is played twice in a row on the Play-Along CDs, so you can hear the lick and then immediately play along.
• Twelve Key Approach – Each CD track takes you through all twelve keys.
• Rhythm-Section-Only Tracks let you experiment with your own variations on the licks and improvise over a wide variety of harmonic settings. These tracks are also excellent backgrounds for practicing all of your chords and scales.
• Technique Builder – Use Hip Licks for Saxophone as part of your daily practice routine to dramatically increase your technical command of the saxophone.
Hip Licks for Saxophone Volumes 1 & 2 were designed to work well together. The lick numbers in volume two start where volume one left off, beginning with lick number 169. This will help you easily keep track of your favorite licks, with no confusion from duplicate lick numbers. Using Volume 1 and 2 together will you have 288 hip licks, many of which can be mixed and matched, creating even more licks.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best Jazz LANGUAGE book you could buy... But crashes
This book is excellent and the licks in the book are derived from jazz giants and then perfected by Greg Fishman. This book is masterfully assembled for the best learning experience. One suggestion I would make is to learn these licks with just the music and not read the book. By memorizing these licks by ear, you gain a greater understanding of how each tone fits over a chord progression.this isn't a hip licks book... It is a Jazz language book and is greatly rewarding. That being said app needs update to fix occasional crash issue.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.