Full version with absolutely no ads!
Quickly master both Hiragana AND Katakana in one app. Purchase once and learn on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad for no extra charge.
Ever wanted to learn Japanese but didn't know where to begin? Learning hiragana first is often suggested by Japanese teachers and many textbooks (Genki, Japanese for Busy People Kana version, etc) virtually require it. This app will help you master both syllabaries* quickly and painlessly.
This app has over 250 sound files featuring all the main hiragana and katakana characters (we will be adding all of the combination characters soon as a free update!) and about 150 example words using characters learned.
- Universal app: iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad
- Learn using Study cards with all information on a single card or with Flashcards to flip to see answers
- Quiz yourself after studying each section and review any missed answers
- Search all hiragana, katakana, and example words
- Random function: tap if you are feeling lucky -- great for reviewing all hiragana and katakana
- Lessons -- an additional way to study all hiragana and katakana
- (on iPad) view random hiragana on the front page
If you are sure you want to learn Japanese, you may want to grab our "Japanese Phrases & Lessons" app instead (or you can click on our "TheJapanesePage.com" link at the top to see all our apps). This includes most (but not all) of what is here for hiragana and katakana AND also includes kanji and grammar lessons plus almost 3,000 sound files of common words and phrases.
If you have ANY questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us.
* Although often called "alphabets," Hiragana and Katakana are more properly called "syllabaries" since each character more or less represents a syllable.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
My new favorite app for Nihongo
Clay and Yumi have made this app entertaining as well as effective. I especially enjoy doing the quizzes ( hard to believe). They have provided an easy way to email from the app and a way to have the app move forward automatically. I can use this kind of listening practice with tiny bits at a time.
I tried to learn kana for a while, trying to memorize but getting confused by how similar all the characters looked, and not understanding tenten at all. This app is simple to use. The best part is the little mnemonic devices (け looks like the opening to a CAve). And there are example words that build on previous lessons. It makes me feel good! It's absolutely worth the price.
I'm in love with this app. It's been my dream to learn Japanese and I figured learning the writing would be a great start. In just a couple lessons learning the writing in the app has actually given me a greater grasp on the language itself! I will recommend this to everyone!!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Kotoba, Inc
- 69.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-17 Kotoba Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.