Thank you to everyone who wrote me about the recent bug that cause the app to crash when using location services in iOS 10. Version 3.5 should solve this problem!
Historical Markers displays the location and description of over 140,000 historic markers throughout North America. Access detailed plaque descriptions, photos, and links to online repositories of historical information. The app allows you to display markers near your current position or browse the entire marker catalog right on your device. Historical Markers contains thousands of markers with full plaque text from the Historical Marker Database (HMDB.org) as well as detailed place information for the entire U.S. National Registry of Historic Places.
Historical Markers is a perfect application for anyone interested in learning about the history around them, whether on travel or closer to home.
- Over 71,000 markers from the Historical Marker Database
- Over 76,000 markers from the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places
- Images of markers and surrounding areas
- GPS utility to display markers around your current location
- Text to speech engine to allow voice dictation of marker descriptions while on the road
- Area search for user specified address or city
- Comprehensive search utility to sort through markers
- Email marker information without leaving the app
- The ability to create a custom list of favorite markers
- Viewing history to help distinguish previously viewed markers
- Share favorited markers via Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms
- Offline database, allowing the app to work without an active data connection.
- User selectable search radius (for improved performance on older devices)
- Multithreading support for improved performance
- Native iPad support
Email us: email@example.com
Become a fan: http://www.facebook.com/historicalmarkersapp
Follow us: https://twitter.com/MarkersApp
I've implemented the ability to favorite individual markers and a feature to help distinguish previously viewed markers, as suggested in the reviews. If you would like to share more suggestions on how to improve the app, or if you encounter a bug, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet ideas and/or comments to @MarkersApp.
Also, please note that Historical Markers aggregates data from the Historical Marker Database and the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places. If a local marker is not in either of these databases, it will not appear in the app. If you would like to add a local marker to the Historical Marker Database, please visit http://www.hmdb.org. The ability to upload marker information and pictures directly from your iOS device is coming in a future release!
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- Fixed a major bug that would cause the app to crash when using location services in iOS 10
- Various other minor bug fixes
- HMDB marker updates
- NRHP marker updates
Ratings and Reviews
Downloaded this while driving through Texas/south towing our RV. The roadside historical markers were of interest but not practical to pull over for. Figured this app would be the answer, not so much. We've reached NV now and finally it has some roadside markers that show up for us to read while driving by. Needs additional roadside entries.
Good, but bug...
I was excited to get the app today but discovered a major flaw. Every marker I click on pulls up an almost invisible bubble outline. It took me a while to even see it and then took much longer to realize these bubbles are suppose to be text filled to allow me to see what I clicked. Clicking on the near invisible bubbles does take me to the desired page, but the process is needlessly difficult. Either clicking on the marker itself should open the page, or the bubbles should be more obvious with text. Can this please be fixed, as it is clearly a bug? Thank you.
*As a side note, I have sent this as an email to support and have since gotten 3 “failure to send” notifications over the past week. This means the email you have set on the support page does not work properly.
Developer Response ,
Hi Czilla85. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It looks like these bugs started happening with one of the recent iOS updates. I'm working on a fix and should have it ready for release in about a week, so hopefully that will clear up both pin popup and email problems. Thanks again and I hope you can continue enjoying the app!
I'm so happy that I found this app. It's simple and works as advertised.
My wife and I use it on our road trips through the Appalachians and it's become an indespensible resource for learning about local history. I've written Dan (the author) a couple of times to report bugs and always recieved a quick response. My only suggestion would be to include the ability to upload new images of markers, but Dan tells me that feature is in the works, so fingers crossed.
It's a great app and definitely 5 out of 5 stars!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Daniel Kocevski
- 254.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Daniel Kocevski
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.