*Heliopause* is interactive fiction — a classic text adventure. No graphics! No point-and-click! You type your commands, and read what happens next.
Steer a ship to distant stars and see what you find, in this compact science-fictional fairy tale.
- A snack-sized narrative, finishable in one session.
- Fluid interface designed for comfortable typing and reading.
- Achievements tracked through Game Center.
- Pop-up palette of commonly used commands.
- Includes a handy status display tab (so you don’t have to type “EXAMINE SHIP” over and over). Bonus ship diagrams and graphics added especially for this iOS release.
- Full support for VoiceOver (speech output) and dictation (speech input) on devices that offer these features.
“In Heliopause, space is the Great Forest of Arthurian knight-errant and Grimm fairytale, or the ocean of the Odyssey: anything might be encountered there, but you won't be able to plot it on a map.” — Sam Kabo Ashwell
“Like many of Andrew Plotkin's games, *Hoist Sail for the Heliopause and Home* is beautiful because so alien... The game-play is extremely ingenious at teaching the player to manipulate and appreciate something completely unrecognizable.” — Emily Short at PlayThisThing
*Heliopause* won the XYZZY Award for Best Writing of 2010. A browser-playable version is also available (for free) on my web site.
Updated for newest devices and current iOS.
Ratings and Reviews
A fascinating world to visit (if only briefly)
The scale of the story is both small and unimaginably vast. Small because it is quick to actually play, thanks in part to a forgiving parser that understood nearly everything I tried to do. Vast because the prose conveys a sense of interstellar distances and the magnificent desolation of space. The player character's mode of existence is unclear, enhancing the alien atmosphere of the game. To the extent there are puzzles, they center on understanding how the components of the ship function (and interact with what one encounters in the outer reaches of space). The app version of Heliopause, as compared to the Z-code download, adds diagrams showing the status of the ship and its stellar sails (a nice feature, but by no means an essential one).
A fun little game
Good writing, very imaginative universe. Only drawback is that it is so short -- I wish I could've spent more time in this universe, exploring....
Snack size space spiel
Ah yes, top-notch, lovely writing as I would expect from Zarf. But yup, quite short. More like participatory prose.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Andrew Plotkin
- 11.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2013-8 Zarfhome Software Consulting, LLC
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.