HOME OUTSIDE®: Landscape Design for Everyone
***As featured in The New York Times, Fox News, USA Today, Gardenista, and more***
“Home Outside allows you to create intricate and varied landscapes. And when you’re finished designing your yard or indulging in a little dreamscaping, you can e-mail results to friend.” –Kate Murphy, The New York Times
“I can’t imagine a designer who wouldn’t want to have this on their phone or tablet. I’ve tried this app … it’s a great tool for a ‘quickie’ design that you can show clients and then refine as you like.” –Jane Berger, Garden Design Online
Home Outside® is a landscape design app with all the tools you need to mock up your property, create new designs, and share them with friends and family.
Ideal for homeowners who want to try out fresh ideas for their yard. Useful for landscape professionals to share designs with clients and contractors. Also perfect for children and adults alike to exercise their imagination and creativity!
Use Home Outside to select and place over 700 beautiful hand-drawn elements including trees, gardens, pools, patios, hammocks, driveways, houses and sheds, solar panels, and just about anything you might want for your property.
• Sample designs to inspire or get you started
• Simple tap-and-drag functionality
• Twenty-nine palettes (700+ elements) to create your landscape design layout
• Resize, Rotate, Undo/Redo, Duplicate, Flip, Group
• Rotate elements with “Snap to 90” or turn off to rotate more precisely
• Snap to grid (elements stick to a re-sizable grid of guidelines, turn on/off in Settings)
• Rulers (visible at edges of design; zoom in to the single unit; user selects feet/meters; can be turned on/off)
• Choose from 15 different background colors
• Sketch Tool (allows users to draw garden beds and other free-form shapes with an eraser and brushes of different colors, widths and opacity)
• Map Tool (This mapping tool based on Google Maps allows you to outline your property and import the map image with measurements into the app as a layer.)
• North arrow (appears with Map Tool)
• Site Analysis palettes to mark the locations of your site’s utilities and light and moisture conditions
• Notes (allows users to tag elements in their designs with typed comments or descriptions)
• Light/Dark mode (changes Note tags and North arrow from white to black for visibility against light backgrounds.)
• Animated Figures (a palette of animated elements—a person, dog, cat, bird, and car—that move through your design on a looped or repeating path, adjustable speed, play and stop animation)
• Import a Photo as a layer (useful for importing a digital image of your property plan)
• Create different Layers of elements in your design. Add, delete, rename layers, make each layer visible/invisible, lock/unlock for editing, and reorder layer position.
• In-app Design Primer by Julie Moir Messervy
• Designs automatically save to the app’s Designs gallery
• Email an editable design so friends can edit one another’s designs and email them back and forth
Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Simple but awesome!
I’ve been able to use this simple little app for so much!! I used it to help set up where we wanted our pool built in our backyard to how to set up furniture on our patio once the pool was built. Next I’ll use it for the front yard as we plan to pull up our landscaping there and start over. It doesn’t have a whole lot of options, so it won’t be perfect but I’ve always been able to make it work. I prefer it’s simplicity and top down view to the more complicated and 3D looks of other apps.
I like the app, and I’ve yet to find another app worth using as a way to manage my 36+ acres, but as other reviewers have noted, the app would benefit from adding the ability to draw shapes and structures of specific dimensions rather than choosing from pre-proportioned blocks and being able to draw fencing by converting lines into fences rather than the clumsy fence blocks provided.
I still give it 5 stars because it IS a good looking and functioning app. Perhaps I should give it 4 stars, but I’ve yet to find any other comparable app.
Could use improvement
Coming from a landscape designer’s perspective, the app could use a lot of work. The designs shown in the apps description are aesthetically pleasing however, from the limited time I have spent with it, it is almost impossible to create a drawing that is to scale. You can only use pre- determined objects for creating your basic site map. You can adjust the structures, but not easily create a house outline for example. You cannot snap the lines to the grid as in most AutoCAD programs to create straight polygonal lines. If this function alone were added I feel the app would be improved greatly.
- Home Outside, Inc.
- 921.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © All Dreams Digital and Julie Moir Messervy Design Studio, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.