HOME OUTSIDE®: Landscape Design for Everyone
***As featured in The New York Times, Fox News, USA Today, Gardenista, and more***
“Home Outside allows you to create intricate and varied landscapes. And when you’re finished designing your yard or indulging in a little dreamscaping, you can e-mail results to friend.” –Kate Murphy, The New York Times
“I can’t imagine a designer who wouldn’t want to have this on their phone or tablet. I’ve tried this app … it’s a great tool for a ‘quickie’ design that you can show clients and then refine as you like.” –Jane Berger, Garden Design Online
Home Outside® is a landscape design app with all the tools you need to mock up your property, create new designs, and share them with friends and family.
Ideal for homeowners who want to try out fresh ideas for their yard. Useful for landscape professionals to share designs with clients and contractors. Also perfect for children and adults alike to exercise their imagination and creativity!
Use Home Outside to select and place over 700 beautiful hand-drawn elements including trees, gardens, pools, patios, hammocks, driveways, houses and sheds, solar panels, and just about anything you might want for your property.
• Sample designs to inspire or get you started
• Simple tap-and-drag functionality
• Twenty-nine palettes (700+ elements) to create your landscape design layout
• Resize, Rotate, Undo/Redo, Duplicate, Flip, Group
• Rotate elements with “Snap to 90” or turn off to rotate more precisely
• Snap to grid (elements stick to a re-sizable grid of guidelines, turn on/off in Settings)
• Rulers (visible at edges of design; zoom in to the single unit; user selects feet/meters; can be turned on/off)
• Choose from 15 different background colors
• Sketch Tool (allows users to draw garden beds and other free-form shapes with an eraser and brushes of different colors, widths and opacity)
• Map Tool (This mapping tool based on Google Maps allows you to outline your property and import the map image with measurements into the app as a layer.)
• North arrow (appears with Map Tool)
• Site Analysis palettes to mark the locations of your site’s utilities and light and moisture conditions
• Notes (allows users to tag elements in their designs with typed comments or descriptions)
• Light/Dark mode (changes Note tags and North arrow from white to black for visibility against light backgrounds.)
• Animated Figures (a palette of animated elements—a person, dog, cat, bird, and car—that move through your design on a looped or repeating path, adjustable speed, play and stop animation)
• Import a Photo as a layer (useful for importing a digital image of your property plan)
• Create different Layers of elements in your design. Add, delete, rename layers, make each layer visible/invisible, lock/unlock for editing, and reorder layer position.
• In-app Design Primer by Julie Moir Messervy
• Designs automatically save to the app’s Designs gallery
• Email an editable design so friends can edit one another’s designs and email them back and forth
Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve really enjoyed this app, especially now that I’m getting better at using it. It’s addictive!
Two things I would love to see that would be great value-adds and not too much development cost is the ability to stretch an object horizontally or vertically to slightly change its shape. Also would like more images to pick from. The object resizing works great, but sometimes I want to keep the width but extend the length, and I haven’t seen that ability. I would also like to rescale everything so that, for instance, the property shown is 150 ft long and 120 ft wide, instead of 180 ft long and 150 ft wide. I’m just having a hard time dialing that in, so I don’t know how big all my objects really need to be, or I have to account mentally for some conversion factor as I size my objects. There was some kind of scale thing when I first uploaded and blueprint of my property, but I can’t figure out how to get back to it, and I’m worried that all my objects would not adjust with it anyway. That’s why I think ithe option would be cool to rescale the whole thing. Otherwise it’s perfect!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for these great suggestions. Both are things we're working on! If you have more ideas for improvements, please consider taking our user survey: https://homeoutside.typeform.com/to/iLAmfBkm
You may be thinking of the rulers and gridlines, both of which can be turned on in Settings. At this time, you would have to manually resize objects to match your scale. Thanks again for your comments!
See my vision
I have been in the landscape industry for over 30 years now. I have used many different design programs during this time. To include expensive cad based programs.
This is a good basic and easy to use design app. Some clients can not see the vision of the landscape I’m trying to sell them. When this happens, I find this app very useful to share that vision.
There is a little learning curve to be efficient using this design app. Some may not even experience this curve. I can complete a design in about 20 to 30 minutes and either print it out or email it to my client.
I’m hoping they continue to add new objects as this will only make it that much better and easier to use. I would recommend this app to anyone who would be in a position to create new landscapes.
Sophisticated app but lacks basics
The user interface looks good from an aesthetic point if view, and there are a lot of cool things about this app. The developer did a good job. But still, some very basic things are missing. I don't see that you can set the shape and size of your yard from within the app. The shapes yiu can add to the draw are each stuck to certain width-to-length proportion and all you can do is enlarge and shrink retaining the same proportion. After trying out I gave up, as te features it has are canceled by the basics it doesn't have.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Home Outside, Inc.
- 921.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © All Dreams Digital and Julie Moir Messervy Design Studio, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.