The Houston Chronicle now brings credible, in-depth, award-winning journalism, with extensive coverage in politics, sports, entertainment, and more in a redesigned and reimagined experience for your iOS devices.
The Houston Chronicle app gives you access to all news anytime, anywhere. Whether it’s news in your neighborhood, Harris County, the great state of Texas, the U.S. or the world, if it impacts you, count on us to keep you informed. And with topic-specific push alerts, you can opt-in to the coverage that matters most to you.
• Up-to-the-minute breaking news from our Pulitzer Prize award-inning newsroom
• Top headlines you can browse or select to read in full so you are always in-the-know
• Get the news you want as it breaks by opting in for push notifications
• Access to Texas Sports Nation, the premier online destination created for the Houston sports superfan, chock-full of exclusive insider access you will not find anywhere else.
• Share with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and email
• OPTIONS: Download the app for free and enjoy a limited number of free stories each month. Get unlimited access, 24/7, for just $5.99 a month (first 2 weeks are FREE) by subscribing within the app itself. Otherwise, if you are a Digital or Print subscriber you can log in to the app for full access. Simply use your website login.
• PAYMENT: Payment will be charged to your iTunes account with the confirmation of your purchase and will automatically renew each month unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of your monthly period.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase • Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
• TERMS OF SERVICE: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/terms_of_use/
• FEEDBACK: Tell us what you think! Our app features are constantly being improved based on your feedback. We welcome you to tell us what you love and what you’d like to see more (or less) of. Contact us at email@example.com.
* Small enhancements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
It works but not happy
Update: I find the updated up to be stable but there are still problems. First, when I respond to a notification about an article I’d like to read, I’m only taken to the app, not to the specific article referenced in the notification. So now I have to search for it? Which brings me to my second complaint: there is no search function.
Why is it so hard for the HC to build a decent app to read the news?
I initially rated this app one star but it’s finally been fixed. No more problems for me. The app opens right away on my iPad mini 4 and has not crashed once since the update. I can now reliably read the paper. Thank you.
Developer Response ,
We apologize for the issues you are experiencing. Some readers have reported issues after updating the app to the latest version from a previous version. In several cases, deleting the app and reinstalling the app resolved the issues. Please give that a try and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you continue to experience issues.
Hate the new app
This app just keeps getting worse and worse. The majority of the stories are days old and it never contains the latest news. For example, yesterday’s paper had nothing about the government shutdown while it was the main headline on the print edition. There were several front page stories yesterday in the print edition that were nowhere to be found in the app edition. This morning, the same thing until scrolling down to the bottom where there is a section called “Latest News” that had some of the stories from the headlines of the print edition. But why would this be put down at the bottom instead of what you see when you open the app? I assume these newspaper apps are trying to make things as simple and cheap as possible on their end, but it is not helping the consumer. I subscribe to the e-print version. My husband relies on the app. I tell him that he is constantly in the dark as the app is always old news.
Poor app. Needs more basic features.
I have tried to use this app for many months, but I’m giving up. There is no search feature. Want to read a story that you’ve heard about? Good luck finding it. You can’t search for it. I wrote to the paper about its shortfalls and how to do a couple of things. Forget it. They don’t have the features, and have no plans to upgrade it. I only subscribe to the paper to access the stories online. They make me take two physical papers a week via delivery to get the best price. The app is not worth it. It’s not all the news (per customer service) and you can’t find what’s there.
- Hearst Newspapers LLC
- 35.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.3.5 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2015 Hearst Newspapers, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Houston Chronicle for iPad $5.99
- Houston Chronicle for iPad $59.99
- Houston Chronicle $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.