Your iPhone or iPad becomes a high-performance GPS receiver with USA NOAA Raster Nautical Charts, even where there is no cell signal!
Rated “Best Choice — Excellent” by Practical-Sailor.com
On the water in a bad storm and your chart plotter just failed? Download this app now. You will have full navigation capabilities to get safely back to port. Better yet, buy iSailGPS today so you will already have it if you find yourself in this situation, even in an area with no cell service. No sign up, ads, subscription, or in-app purchase required, making this less expensive, less hassle & more privacy respecting than the “free” or subscription apps.
TRACKS, WAYPOINTS, ROUTES
Record a track. View it on the chart and in a speed graph. Record in the background. View time of track points.
Mark waypoints by their position on a chart, by tapping a geotagged photo, by projecting from a known point, or by searching place names. Refine a waypoint position when you arrive.
Set a quick GoTo waypoint or a full route and see the course (COG), heading (HDG), bearing (BRG), direction, distance, cross track error (XTE), Velocity Made Good (VMG) and Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) at your destination and intermediate points.
Man Overboard (MOB). With one button push, mark your current position & start navigating to it.
Create routes using waypoints, recorded tracks, or imported GPX, KML or TCX files. Advanced route editing.
Export GPX and KML waypoint, route & track files via eMail, Messages, Copy to, AirDrop, iCloud Drive, Dropbox or iTunes.
Send KML files to display immediately in Google Earth. Receive KML files from Google Earth.
View and share the sun and moon position and rise & set times for any time and any place on earth.
USA NOAA RASTER NAUTICAL CHARTS
No extra charge for access to all NOAA RNC Charts for USA waters. Download using WiFi or cell service.
Store up to 1024 charts to use anytime at sea without cell service. Charts from our server download faster & use less of your monthly data allotment.
Stitches charts and automatically switches between downloaded charts as you sail. Choose detailed or overview charts.
Print and Share map images overlaid with waypoints, routes & tracks.
Measure distance and direction between any 2 points.
NOAA charts don't include most inland rivers & small lakes. Use our iHikeGPS app for these.
Tap Help in the app.
Online Manual: isailgps.com
Email developer: email@example.com
RASTER CHARTS VS. VECTOR CHARTS
The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration provides both RNC (raster) and ENC (vector) charts.
The great advantage of the high resolution RNC charts used by iSailGPS is the high level of detail produced by professional cartographers that is unobtainable on any vector-based chart. ENC Vector Charts only show a coastline, water depth, navigation aids & minimal details.
These RNC Charts differ from vector charts in that each chart covers a specific area, just as paper nautical charts do. Switches automatically to a new chart when your boat leaves the area covered by the previous chart. For most locations, there are multiple charts at different scales with different levels of detail & areas of coverage.
Paper charts can have multiple panels, each showing a different area or scale. Each digital panel is individually displayed by iSailGPS with a north-up orientation.
Other more expensive marine software uses these same RNC charts. iSail GPS is priced to make it readily available to all boating enthusiasts.
No device requires a cellular data plan to use iSailGPS.
WiFi+cellular iPad 2 or later, & iPhone 4S or later support full navigation.
iPad 2 or later with WiFi-only, & iPod touch (5th gen or later) require an iOS-compatible external GPS receiver to show your location on the water and to record tracks. View charts using the iOS device alone.
Winner of the Practical Sailor Editors’ Choice Award.
Sailing becomes safer and more fun with iSailGPS!
I'm continually improving this app so it will be even more useful! With this version you can view and share a sun & moon Azimuth/Elevation plot and rise & set times for any date and time and for any place on earth.
What's new in iSailGPS when compared with other available NOAA chart apps?
• You don't just see waypoints and routes displayed on the chart, you can actually do real great circle navigation to those waypoints and along those routes. You get information such as Estimated Time of Arrival, current bearing and heading, and remaining distance to your intermediate and final destinations.
• You don't just see individual charts. Whenever the map projection is compatible (which it is most cases), you can see adjacent charts with their margins removed stitched together seamlessly, even when the chart scales are different. For example you can see the approach chart and the corresponding harbor detail chart both together on the same screen.
• You can create, import, edit, export, and navigate both on routes based on a recorded or imported path, and on routes based on a series of waypoints.
• iSailGPS' s code size is kept very small by efficient programming so in an emergency, you can download it easily even over a weak cell connection.
• Check the App Privacy section. We don't know who you are when you are using iSailGPS. We never send your current location or your recorded track to our servers. Hence we cannot and don't use your location data. We cannot and don't provide your location data to anyone else. Many other mapping apps do profit from using your location data in ways that do not keep it private.
Ratings and Reviews
I have to give 4stars to put my review in as 1 star gets rejected!!!
Don’t buy this app, if you can’t draw a straight line on a chart for way points then you may need this. This app suggests that I take my boat (using way points) through houses and hills. This is just an $8.00 novelty.
I’ve been using this app for about a year and I’m extremely happy with it. I can set waypoints and routes right on the app just like I would on a chart. Then follow the route, and even reverse it on my iPad or iPhone. I can send a route from my iPad to my iPhone and it brings the waypoints with it. You can take a screenshot of the route and print it out, so you can check off each waypoint as you pass it. They even added the latitude and longitude of each waypoint to the route screen. They’re very responsive and I highly recommend this app.
Great Chart Plotter!
Any of the negative reviews, and there are only a few, cleary just downloaded the app and didn’t bother to learn it. This app is amazing! I do wish I could figure out how to download additional waypoint icons though. Anchorage, bouy, ramp, hoist, pump out, etc. it may be possible but I can’t figure out. Still tho, great map. One tip, when creating waypoints, make sure to use in insets or zoom way in because, initially, when I was creating them, I learned that they were way off!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- James Associates Inc.
- 13.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2021 James Associates Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.