iA Writer 4+
Information Architects AG
“Leaving life’s mess for an ideal realm of words.” —The New Yorker
“My favorite iOS app for writing in Markdown, without question, is iA Writer. iA Writer is just beautiful. To me, it’s the gold standard for Markdown syntax styling... an elegant champagne flute. That’s iA Writer for me.” —John Gruber
“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” —The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” —The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” —WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds without leaving the window.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 6:
- Wikilinks make it easy to connect, browse, and rediscover your writing
- A [[wikilink]] is a link from one text file to another
- To make a wikilink, just type [[ and the name of the file you would like to link
- Autocomplete suggests files from your Library
- Open the linked file with ⌘-click, or ⌘⏎
- If the file doesn’t exist, it’ll be automatically created and ready to type
# Navigation History
- Navigation history keeps track of the files you recently opened using wikilinks, Library, or Quick Search
- To go back and forward, hold ⌘ and swipe right or left anywhere in the document
- Click the history buttons in the title bar
- Or press ⌃⌘← and ⌃⌘→
# Hashtag Improvements
- Hashtags can be now added anywhere in text
- Autocomplete suggests hashtags as you type
- Consistent styling for hashtags and other links
- Show a hashtag in Quick Search with ⌘-click, or ⌘⏎
- All web links and email addresses are automatically detected
- Open a link in browser or compose a new email with ⌘-click, or ⌘⏎
- Control how wikilinks, hashtags, and autolinks are exported in Markdown settings
# Content Block Improvements
- To add a content block, type / at the beginning of a line and the name of the file you would like to include
- Autocomplete suggests files from your Library
- A path to a file is no longer required. Filename-only content blocks automatically find the nearest matching file
- Open a text content block with ⌘-click, or ⌘⏎
- If the content block file doesn’t exist, it’ll be automatically created and ready to type
- All-new metadata engine enables powerful new features
- Provide variables to text content blocks, width and height attributes to image content blocks
- Supports Markdown in metadata variables
- Define global metadata in Markdown settings
# Look and Feel
- Completed tasks are faded and crossed-out
- All-new highlight colors: yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and green
- Choose your favorite highlight color and configure completed task appearance in Editor settings
# Editor Improvements
- Editor automatically inserts closing brackets
- Select text and type an opening bracket to wrap selection in matching brackets
- Added indent width setting
- Changed strikethrough shortcut to ⌥⌘U
- Changed highlight shortcut to ⇧⌘U
- Changed code shortcut to ⌘J
- Added code block command with shortcut ⇧⌘J
- Disabled spell checking, autocorrection, autocapitalization, and smart punctuation in code
- Set up ⌘E shortcut to use selection for find
- Changed shortcut to mark task as completed to ⌥⌘X
# Other Improvements
- Changed Library shortcut to ⌃⌘S
- Task list items are searchable with Smart Folders and Quick Search using [ ] and [x]
- Added ability to show and sort by date created in Library
- Added fuzzy Library Path matching to Quick Search
- Added an option to always show the title bar
- Replaced Delete in Library with Move to Trash, hold ⌥ to delete immediately
- Stopped asking to keep document changes by default, configurable in Files preferences
Ratings and Reviews
I write more frequently because of this app.
I basically threw my money at the computer as soon as I saw a desktop version of iA Writer existed. The iOS version had already captured me, and being able to move between phone and computer was just what I needed. Every feature is built for writers, from easy and beautiful PDF exports to cloud storage to starting with a blank document ready as soon as the program opens. My favorite way to use it is in full-screen mode with Night Mode turned on, nothing but my words in white on a dark screen. I use iA Writer every day, and I’d go so far as to say that it’s made me a more productive writer, just because it has simplified the writing process for me so effectively. (It’s also been good to see it improve over time with smart and continuous updates, and my one and only request for support was answered quickly and solved easily.)
In short: I write more now that I have iA Writer on my machine, and I have never used a more elegant writing app. I’d give it 10 stars if I could.
Developer Response ,
Feedback like this is why we do what we do. Learning that people enjoy writing more because of our app is why we get up every morning looking forward to improve our app even more. In essence "Every feature is built for writers… it’s made me a more productive writer" was the initial vision for iA Writer, in a nutshell. It's beautiful to hear what we intended to achieve those who use our app daily. Thank you.
One of my favorite apps for any writing
This app is awesome and has only gotten better. It works as a notes app OR as a serious writing app. I mean, I'll shift to Word before prepping something for like a serious submission, but besides that, I'm here if I can be here. It's clean and works well. I prefer it to Ulysses because I just want to write without a lot of fuss. iA saves files as .txt so you can grab them easily and open them anywhere. You can easily sort your stuff into folders or use tags for sorting. Overall this app is deceptive-- it looks like it doesn't do much, but it actually low key does everything that you need. I have a degree in creative writing (and I mean have been writing since I was kid) and also am a nascent app developer these days-- & from both perspectives I'm impressed with iA. If you need a clean app for writing and taking notes, here you go. I use it daily and it never disappoints.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind words 🥰 We appreciate the time taken to rate and share this!
A joy to use and write.
I remember I've been using iA Writer on iOS since version 1, and if my memory serves me well, it was perhaps first of a kind writing app back then; as other reviewers here, I immediately liked the "no fuss" approach, clean interface and attention to detail. All similar writing tools that started to appear later just didn't have this feeling of "rightness" for me.
Getting an OS X version made my life even better. This is pretty much my only writing app where I keep notes, technical docs, essays, whatever. With hashtags and library toolbar you can even use it for your Zettelkasten if you fancy. My only wish is extension of smart folder functionality with various filters. Maybe one day? :wink:
Seeing the continuing improvement of iA Writer by developers simply brings me joy. Much love and thank you for your dedication. I mean, where else do you get people making a custom (and good!) font for their editor?
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your longtime support of iA! A lot of work goes into an app like this and it feels nice to be appreciated in this way :-) For your feature request on Smart Folders, don't be shy to mail us at email@example.com with some details ;-)
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Information Architects AG
- 23 MB
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2010–2022 Information Architects GmbH
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.