This essential boating app provides quick reference look-up to recognise and interpret the buoys and light markers, as well as an updated test quiz section.
Buoys & Lights will help improve and expand your overall boating skills and aid your safety on the water.
“The graphics are excellent and I think this will be really useful while out at sea or at home for revision purposes.”
“The graphics are clear and well done, and the info is great to carry with me. Works perfectly.”
Downloaded & used by thousands of seafarers in the USA, Great Britain, Australia, France, Canada, New Zealand & over 50 other countries
This boating, sailing and marine app provides all skippers, sailors, boaters and fishermen with the essential quick reference knowledge they need to quickly recognise and interpret the buoys and the light markers and improve your overall boating skills and safety on the water, as specified by the International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA) Systems A & B.
Whether out on the water or on shore, in daylight, darkness or poor visibility, simply open the app and search the buoys, beacons, markers and lights in seconds to find the appropriate rule and definition.
- No internet connection required.
- Simple, easy to use navigation for quick reference.
- Every IALA buoyage marker available at the touch of a finger.
- Expertly drawn illustrations accompanied by clear, concise descriptions
If you are responsible for a vessel at sea, no matter how small or large, you must be able to recognise different types of navigation marks, day or night, and know what they mean.
This Buoys & Lights app will help improve your overall boating skills and safety on the water.
Buoys & Lights is designed to help all recreational and professional seafarers learn and understand the world buoyage systems which are organised by the International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA).
There are two systems in use, IALA A and IALA B and they are both explained fully in this app.
There are 4 main sections in this boating safety app:
1. Buoyage: A graphic reference guide with 70 illustrations and captions which explain the different types of buoy, their uses, appearance, permutations and light characteristics.
2. Lights: A graphic reference guide with 12 illustrations and captions which explain the different types of light and their characteristics, used by beacons and lighthouses.
3. IALA Rules: The International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA) rules are reproduced in full.
4. Test Yourself: A series of multiple choice questions with 35 graphic representations of buoys and lights helps you check your knowledge.
We've worked hard to uphold the highest standards of accuracy in this app and want you to enjoy this app in several ways:
- As an easy reference and revision tool
- As a powerful visual aide-memoire
- As an accurate source of safety information tested by marine experts
- As a way to constantly improve your knowledge and recall via the 'test yourself" section
- As a tool to assist you on sailing and boating courses
FEEDBACK & ENDORSEMENT FROM THE INTERNATIONAL BOATING COMMUNITY that we've had is perhaps the best indicator of the value of our apps:
"I was so impressed with your Nav Lights app that I bought it and downloaded it immediately."
"I really like the ColRegs part of it and the way you have kept it completely in line with the IRPCS."
OTHER APPS IN THIS SERIES:
- ColRegs: Lights and Shapes provides in depth covers ColRegs Rules 20 to 31
- ColRegs: The Rules of the Road covers the "Steering and Sailing Rules" and "Sound and Light Signals" sections of the IRPCS
In use around the world!
Now with access to our extended range of online test-yourself quizzes. Used by seafarers worldwide to improve and test their knowledge.
Ratings and Reviews
A valuable resource.
I had cause to need this info recently when out in a near gale force wind. Brilliant - I had it on my iPhone in a water proof case, and could refer to it without leaving the (very wet) helm - much better than a dash to the chart table to thumb through a book! Thank you!
Great at a glance quick reference, which is essential when at sea.
Good, useful & easy to understand
I've been studying for my exams, and this was really useful. A few of us made the purchase, and everyone reckons it was worth it. A good buy for anyone out on the water.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- The Other Hat
- 18.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 The Other Hat Ltd
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.