iAltairHD pretends to be a MITS Altair 8800 computer and gives you a glimpse how old operating systems like CP/M 2 have felt. It is fully loaded with software but please note that the system is completely self contained and this means that you cannot remotely add any code.
If you want to play a classic text based adventure game such as Zork, talk to Eliza, play Startrek, do a little bit of WordStar or create a little program in Basic or TurboPascal, iAltairHD is for you.
The iAltairHD computer supports
- 8080, Z80 and 8086 CPU
- Basic VT100 terminal emulation for full screen editors and games
- CPU speed throttling for classic terminal games
- Dropbox integration for disk backup
The following software is included:
- Altair Basic (4k and 8k) and Altair DOS
- CP/M 2 with Basic, Pascal MT+, Prolog, TurboPascal, WordStar, VEDIT screen editor, Multiplan, dBASE II, a collection of classic Basic games and text based adventures
- CP/M 3 with the possibility to exchange data between CP/M 2 and CP/M 3
- CP/M 86 with VEDIT and Pascal MT+ 86
- MS-DOS 1.25 with Basic-86 and Perfect Writer
• Small technology refresh
Ratings and Reviews
Faithful recreation - perfect for students
A must-have App for computer students and computer history buffs.
Faithfully recreates a number of models and operating systems along with common software used at the time. For me it was a nostalgic trip.
The interface was pretty intuitive. The only thing I would change is to add the ability to hide the UI when using an external keyboard, like the Apple Keyboard cover. That would give the App a true “full-screen” experience.
Excellent tribute to computer history
Thank you so much for making this app—it’s so neat to be able to be actually using a simulated Altair, CPM, early Microsoft BASIC and MS-DOS—all parts of home computing history! I can now actually show my children what computing was like when I was a kid :-)
This is an awesome app that deserves more attention. It is like having a pc in your tablet! It does need some refinement but still is a great tool for,an enthusiast.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Peter Schorn
- 35.9 MB
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Peter Schorn
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.