iAltairHD pretends to be a MITS Altair 8800 computer and gives you a glimpse how old operating systems like CP/M 2 have felt. It is fully loaded with software but please note that the system is completely self contained and this means that you cannot remotely add any code.
If you want to play a classic text based adventure game such as Zork, talk to Eliza, play Startrek, do a little bit of WordStar or create a little program in Basic or TurboPascal, iAltairHD is for you.
The iAltairHD computer supports
- 8080, Z80 and 8086 CPU
- Basic VT100 terminal emulation for full screen editors and games
- CPU speed throttling for classic terminal games
- Dropbox integration for disk backup
The following software is included:
- Altair Basic (4k and 8k) and Altair DOS
- CP/M 2 with Basic, Pascal MT+, Prolog, TurboPascal, WordStar, VEDIT screen editor, Multiplan, dBASE II, a collection of classic Basic games and text based adventures
- CP/M 3 with the possibility to exchange data between CP/M 2 and CP/M 3
- CP/M 86 with VEDIT and Pascal MT+ 86
- MS-DOS 1.25 with Basic-86 and Perfect Writer
- General compatibility updates
- Update to latest Dropbox API
Ratings and Reviews
Faithful recreation - perfect for students
A must-have App for computer students and computer history buffs.
Faithfully recreates a number of models and operating systems along with common software used at the time. For me it was a nostalgic trip.
The interface was pretty intuitive. The only thing I would change is to add the ability to hide the UI when using an external keyboard, like the Apple Keyboard cover. That would give the App a true “full-screen” experience.
This is an awesome app that deserves more attention. It is like having a pc in your tablet! It does need some refinement but still is a great tool for,an enthusiast.
Pretty cool but needs the switches interface
I like how this app has emulation of older operating systems! But it's missing something. You know how if you just had the altair by itself, its a bunch of switches and LEDs and you could put your own data and programs in binary? It needs that interface. If it had that, I guarantee I would rate this app at 5 stars. Other than that, its pretty cool!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.