If you use REDUCE, you can now perform your computations anywhere on your iOS device of choice. iCAS is a complete and native implementation of REDUCE with all of its major packages, including the gnuplot package. If you have an iPhone 4/iPad or later devices, you can even use the iCAS screen mirroring feature to share your results/plots with your colleagues, walk a class through computations, etc.
If you're not familiar with REDUCE, it is an extremely powerful and flexible computer algebra system with a track record spanning over 40 years of use in the engineering, computer science, and physics research community. Simply put, iCAS is like having Mathematica or the computational engine of Wolfram Alpha in your pocket but, best of all, it runs natively on your iOS device so no internet connection is required. iCAS is fully programmable and provides the ability to reuse previous results in computations.
iCAS is all about getting computations done. Its simple, clean, and uncluttered interface is quick and nimble and stays out of your way and fancy graphics are used only where it matters, for fancy output and plots.
The CAS engine in iCAS has been in use for decades on desktop machines and is identical to the one used in the i41CX+ iOS app. The following are just some of the i41CX+ user comments praising the powerful CAS engine.
x1 := sqrt(h^2 + p1^2);
x2 := sqrt((h/2)^2 + (p-p1)^2);
x3 := x1 + x2;
dx := df(x3,p1);
This great calculator gives the correct answer 2p/3 instantly. Not even SpaceTime nor any other portable CAS can handle this."
"I have this equation that I have tried to reduce in CalcCenter to little success as well as TInspire and others. The equation is error = ((((-r1*(1+k1))/(r2*(1+k2)))+((r1)/(r2)))/(((r1)/(r2)))). Can the i41CX+ [CAS] solve this?" The CAS engine simplified the expression to (-k1 + k2)/(k2 + 1) and this user became yet another satisfied user of this powerful CAS engine.
• Three modes of operation: CAS, Plotter, and Text Editor
• Interactive and batch mode execution
• User configurable macro keyboard
• Numerical keyboard for quick arithmetic calculations
• Rich set of user configuration options (e.g. enabled keyboards, keyboard configuration, automatically show plots or fancy output, etc.)
• Configurable font style, font size, foreground and background colors
• Support for all device orientations
• External screen mirroring support (iPhone 4 and iPad)
• Import/export via email and iTunes file sharing
• AirPrint support
• Fancy output rendering engine can also be used for basic rendering of LaTeX files
• Expansion and ordering of polynomials and rational functions
• Substitutions and pattern matching in a wide variety of forms
• Automatic and user controlled simplification of expressions
• Calculations with symbolic matrices
• Arbitrary precision integer and real arithmetic
• Facilities for defining new functions
• Analytic differentiation and integration
• Factorization of polynomials
• Solving a variety of algebraic equations
• Facilities for the output of expressions in a variety of formats
• 2D and 3D plotting either using the REDUCE gnuplot package or via direct gnuplot commands
• And Much More
• Internal optimizations.
Ratings and Reviews
Reduce is great as solving, not a great UI.
It took me a while to find reduce on my own. Also a good book, algorithms for computer algebra. Reduce definitely needs a more user friendly AI. It does solves problems other CAS systems seem to fail at. It would be great to one day get a better UI version available for desktops. A note of something simple to add...an output window, and a shift enter to run line and a run all. Confusing how to get something to evaluate. This small addition would make it convenient, part of the problem I have with reduce the free desktop version is that the user interface is inconvenient to work with. That being said, I will say again, several times reduce solves things that others seem to fail at, glad someone has started on moving it forward. Five stars for the start, haven’t used that much, but if it’s the reduce core it is capable of solving problems. Thanks.
Deserves far more than 5 stars
This product is a real prize in all ways for mathematicians, scientists, and engineers. It is complete in all ways. It does both numeric and symbolic calculations involving algebra, statistics, calculus, linear algebra, etc. it has arbitrary precision, beautifully handles 2 and 3 dimensional graphing, and is comparable with Mathematica on all levels, but is far less expensive. Of all the apps I have ever downloaded it has to be among the very best! I can't say enough good about it! Thumbs up!!! Also, by the way, it is not dependent on internet connection in order to function. A real prize!
iCAS is an absolutely brilliant application. It is based on REDUCE, a Computer Algebra System (CAS) with a forty-year pedigree. It is much more memory-efficient than many competing systems, and thus performs very well on large problems (e.g., symbolically inverting a large n*n matrix, an operation that potentially produces n factorial intermediate terms). Doing simple tasks is very straightforward. There is a bit of a learning curve for some more complex operations, but that is in the nature of a full-featured CAS. I wholeheartedly recommend this as being the best of the CAS apps currently available for iOS devices. I only wish I had known about it sooner!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Antonio Lagana
- 22.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2019 AL Software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.