Welcome to iComic, the premier application for reading comics on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
iComic makes great use of the multi-touch function for simple and effective page navigation and zooming to provide the best portable comic book read you will find. iComic displays high resolution comic pages (jpg, tif, or png image files) contained inside compressed zip or cbz format archives. Using the built-in download function, comics can be downloaded from the internet or from a personal server and stored locally on your iPhone or iPod Touch. Your downloaded comics are stored on your device and so are always available for reading, even when you have no internet connection.
As iTunes resizes images to a compressed format, iComic is also useful for displaying images for other uses e.g. maps, high detailed photos and ebooks (convert your pdf books to jpeg and you have a perfect reader for those large pdf files, normally unreadable due to the high memory requirement).
iComic currently provides three methods for turning pages: swiping your finger on the screen; by taps in the screen corners using the Corner-Tap method; or by Multi-Touch (tap once to page forward, twice to page back). Zooming is by the familiar pinch method used in Safari and other applications or by double tapping the screen when in Corner-Tap mode. The application is very stable and can easily handle zip files up to 60MB with infrequent problems observed with files of much larger size. Individual image files inside the zip files are constrained to a maximum 3 million pixels (e.g. 3,000 pixels high x 1,000 pixels wide or equivalent) though for the sake of battery conservation much smaller sizes (~1000 pixels high) are generally used.
A manual for setting up and using iComic can be downloaded from http://red.halfmoon.jp/AppStore_iComic_V1.3_FAQ.pdf
The author of this application is Japanese so for excellent community support and discussion in English please visit the helpful and friendly ~*~ Ultimate icomic Thread ~*~ at www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23759
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Works well with limitations due to the iPhone/iTouch's inability to easily load files
So far, this is the only comic reader available and the functionality is a bit limited, but it's worth the price.
Most of the instructions are PC, so to enable this on your Mac, do the following:
1. Go To System Preferences -> Sharing and check the box by "Web Sharing."
2. Write down the URL that appears under "Your Computer's Website:" it will probably be in the format "http://10.0.1.x", with the x being a unique IP number. If you know how to do so, I recommend creating a static IP for your Mac on your home network.
3. Go to the folder "Macintosh HD/Library/WebServer/Documents"
4. There are a lot of items in this folder, so I recommend creating a new folder called "comics"
5. Place the files you want to view on iComic in this folder
6. In iComic, start the application, select "Edit" and then "Add"
7. Type in the URL "http://10.0.1.x/comics/[your filename]" with the "x" being your unique IP number and [your filename] being the .cbz file you wish to load. It's much easier if you shorten the filenames of your .cbz files.
One of the better ones out there
I've used this app for quite a few years and it has served me well. It could do with a little revamping in terms of newer features, and maybe make managing favorites a little better (exporting, marking favorite while viewing, etc).
I use it for viewing various comics in archives where I mark my favorites and review those months later.
I don't use all the features of the app so I can't say much on the rest of it.
A trusty, old pal...!
Sure, updates happen at a relaxed schedule, but major kudos to the author for keeping this app alive after all these years.
- Yoshitake Yamamoto
- 3.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © Yoshitake Yamamoto
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.