Teach spoken words, sentences, early grammar and reading with evidence-based activities and guidance. Designed for children with Down syndrome or similar learning needs.
See and Learn Sentences 1 provides resources and activities to teach children to use words to make simple sentences. It includes everything you need to implement a program for teaching early language and literacy skills.
See and Learn Sentences 1 includes a series of graded reading books illustrating new vocabulary in a variety of sentences. It provides matching, selecting and naming activities to teach and test your child’s understanding of new vocabulary, sight words and sentences. A sentence building activity is also included to teach your child to put words in the correct order to make sentences.
See and Learn Sentences 1 teaches:
• a vocabulary of 174 words and sight words, including nouns, adjectives, verbs and prepositions, selected from the words commonly learned at this stage of development
• 277 sentences in 25 reading books, using the taught vocabulary and sight words with frequent repetition of individual words and sentence structures
• carrier phrases, including "I am…", "I like…", "Here is…", "Look at" and "This is…"
• three-keyword sentence structures, including agent-action-object
• early grammar rules, including plural -s, plural is/are, personal pronouns (he/she/they/I)
See and Learn Sentences 1 features:
• pre-selected vocabulary that is developmentally appropriate for children at this stage of language development
• 25 carefully structured short books that are taught in sequence to introduce new vocabulary and grammar and to rehearse and consolidate vocabulary and grammar previously taught
• 10 teaching activities: Reading Books, Matching Pictures, Selecting Pictures, Naming Pictures, Matching, Sight Words, Selecting Sight Words, Reading Sight Words, Understanding Sight Words, Understanding Sentences, Building Sentences
• 433 bright, clear photographs showing natural and realistic representations of new vocabulary and sentences
• simple design to avoid distraction and focus attention on the learning tasks
• a teaching program that advances in small steps and offers lots of opportunities for practice and consolidation
• a detailed guide with step-by-step instructions
• record forms that can be printed to track your child’s progress and plan the teaching activities
• resources for teaching in any English dialect (optional spoken prompts are included with UK and US accents)
See and Learn Sentences 1 supports parents and educators to adopt an evidence-based approach to teaching vocabulary and sight words, simple sentences and early grammar rules. It is designed to meet the needs of children with Down syndrome and children with similar learning difficulties (language delay, working memory impairments and verbal processing difficulties).
To accommodate working memory and verbal processing difficulties, language is given visual representations through photographs, written words and sentences. This can help your child by enabling them to see how words can be combined to express meanings without necessarily having to hold all the verbal representations of the words in their mind at once.
See and Learn Sentences 1 is designed and supported by internationally recognized experts. The teaching approaches are consistent with the current scientific understanding of the developmental and learning needs of children with Down syndrome and children with similar learning difficulties.
See and Learn Sentences 1 is suitable for children who:
• understand at least 150 words
• can say or sign at least 60 of the words that they understand
• use some two keyword phrases when talking (or signing)
Children who have completed the activities in See and Learn Vocabulary 1, 2 and 3 and in See and Learn Phrases 1, 2 and 3 will be ready to start the activities in See and Learn Sentences 1.
For further advice, guidance and support, please visit our web site.
• General bug fixes and improvements
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Down Syndrome Education Enterprises C.I.C.
- 192.4 MB
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Down Syndrome Education Enterprises CIC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.