LOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW. DIE.
Failbetter’s award-winning PC game is now on iOS! Take the helm of your steamship and set sail for the unknown. Sunless Sea is a game of discovery, loneliness and frequent death, set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London.
If the giant crabs, sentient icebergs and swarms of bats don’t get you, madness and cannibalism certainly will. But that old black ocean beckons, and there’s loot for the brave souls who dare to sail her.
Betray your crew, sell your soul to a Devil, marry your sweetheart. Survive long enough and you’ll achieve your life’s ambition.
You will die, but your legacy will live on…
- A deep, compelling world packed with 350,000+ words of stories and secrets. Find your father’s bones. Determine London’s destiny. Defy the gods of the deep sea.
- Beautiful, hand drawn art: castles of sparkling ice, prisons perched on lily pads, fog-shrouded lighthouses and the DAWN MACHINE.
- Your captain will die. But you can pass on resources from one generation to the next. Acquire a family home and a hoard of heirlooms. Build up your own story across generations of zailors who braved the sea and lost - or won...
- Real-time combat against ships and Zee-beasts, spider-crewed dreadnoughts and sentient icebergs.
- Light and dark, terror and madness: stray too far from the gas-lamps of civilisation and your crew will grow fearful and eventually lose their sanity.
- Upgrade your steamship with powerful engines, cannons and pneumatic torpedo guns. (Or buy a bigger, better ship.)
- Hire unique officers like the Haunted Doctor and the Irrepressible Cannoneer. Each has a story to tell, if you can draw it out of them.
- Choose a ship’s mascot: the Comatose Ferret, the Wretched Mog, the Elegiac Cockatoo, and more!
- Trade or smuggle silk and souls, mushroom wine and hallucinogenic honey.
- “Absolutely the best writing in any video game since, well, as long as I can remember.” (10/10 – PCGamesN)
- “A very compelling and satisfying adventure... The realm of possibilities seems endless, and every time I set sail I find something new.” (9/10 – Destructoid)
- “Sunless Sea's method of storytelling isn't unique, but it has never been realised with such impact and elegance.” (10/10 – Eurogamer)
- storylets now showing in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen now fixed
- fuel bar no longer resets to 0 after loading manual save
- no Zubmariner-specific ports should now appear on the chart
Ratings and Reviews
So far, too hard?
The game is beautiful and atmospheric like everyone else said. The writing is elegant and in-depth with a bit of humor, I feel like I'm reading Sherlock Holmes. My cons are:
The creatures/ships to battle are way too seldom. If your goal is to collect specimens it takes days. And yes the battle system is clunky but I guess that's the point, to make it feel like a real, old ship.
Like other reviewers, I've been playing a couple hours a day for a week, and even when not dying, have not made it even close to 5% to getting a new ship, other than that joke dinghy.
I understand this is a rouge game, which is supposed to be unforgiving and repetitive, but with the slow speed of your basic ship and the ridiculous tiny payouts from your port reports, it gets aggravating. I know there are the quests but how to save for a 3000 ship with 10 echos per report?
The game feels great though. I will keep at it.
Update: I've kept at it, and I've given up. Getting even a few hundred echoes takes a ridiculous long time, meanwhile you have to slog back to London for usually little payback. I'm sorry but some games make me want to throw the device. It's beautiful, but for me the advance curve or whatever is too annoying.
Thanks for a game with nice music, graphics, and dialogue/writing though
Game is great
I played this game on Steam, and now on my iPad. It's still excellent. Yes, the game CAN be unforgiving (that's the entire point), so it makes you extra cautious when you exploring a new area. The slowness of the ship (at FIRST) can add to this sense of vulnerability, which is why this game is fun in the first place.
Once you upgrade your engines, or do the quests to get 1 of 2 very good engines, the world opens up.
Note: to the dude below (like all reviews) who says "Game crashes immediately." Not true. They are A. Using an old model that the game doesn't even support. B. Are at the max on memory so the tablet can't even provide resources to actually run the game. Or C. They are lying. You see this in EVERY review section. And it's never true, unless backed up by a LOT of similar sentiments. To this day, I haven't yet had an app game crash repeatedly. Don't give that nonsense below ANY credence at all.
A gripping story, but to me it has no base
While this game is incredibly intriguing and ingenious, I would feel loss just second into the story, and as soon as I run into a monster just slightly stronger than me, I would die and have to start all over again, and have that feeling of being cluelessly lost.
Developer Response ,
Hello! If you're still feeling a little lost, we'd recommend checking out the Sunless Sea wiki (https://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Official_Sunless_Sea_Wiki) or our community spaces like r/sunlesssea or our community forum (http://community.failbettergames.com) where you may find some exceptional guidance. Hope this helps!
- Failbetter Games Ltd
- 534.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation), and iPad (7th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2009 Failbetter Games Ltd
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.