Dhalang Microtonal Groovebox is a standalone music software for accessible use of alternative tuning systems in electronic music composition, production and performance. Dhalang offers internal synthesizers and samplers with multitrack mixing and effecting possibilities that can be controlled with internal sequencers, touch screen or standard MIDI input. In addition to it’s traditional multitrack piano roll editing and sequencing, Dhalang also features several generative and algorithmic methods for more experimental sequencing of ((micro)tonal) music.
Features in short:
- Various preset tuning systems and scales with a custom tuning editor.
- Analog-style, physically modelled, additive and FM method monophonic and polyphonic synths,
- Audio sample player with mini granulizer and audio data auto-segmentation.
- Piano roll and control automation sequencers.
- Algorithmic/generative sequencers: vector, matrix and particle.
- Mixer with four stereo buses and many sound effects.
- Offline and online rendering to stereo file.
- MIDI file import and export.
- Dropbox file transfer interface.
- Audiobus and IAA multi port support.
- Ableton Link support.
- iOS document interaction between apps.
- Internal filesystem with basic operations.
- Realtime MIDI input and output.
- IAA MIDI support.
- Network synchronisation of various cross-platform Dhalang instances.
- Many UI colour themes and support for various languages.
iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro.
iPad Air, iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro.
for more detailed information and examples, visit http://www.hypertonal.net/dhalang
Sorry for all iOS users, I've had lots of problems getting anything to appstore recently.
This update fixes most issues that have come to light during past 6 months or so.
- Global measure/block size now sets the timing correctly for state machines. for example having 5/4 timing = 20 beats on block.
- Vector patterns value range increased, on second click on element, it's +/- 10 steps higher, making the ultimate range to 1 to 19 for timing and -19 to 19 for pitch.
- Sampler envelope and voice stealing improved a lot.
- Analog synth osc envelope now actually completely off when amount is zero.
- Scala tuning file export empty lines -bug fixed.
- Sampler file insert crash fixed.
- Auto-fixing for somehow corrupted project files.
- Overall DSP stability improved with denormal filtering.
- Online render buffer size doubled to prevent recording drop outs.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The closest thing to Absynth on iOS (not for those who lack patience) True geek app 🤓
When I stumbled on this app this morning there weren't any reviews. Checked out the free version and was a little put off since it lacked functionality that I wanted to test. Watched some of the demo videos on the devs website and then spent the $20 and hoped for the best. Ummmm whoa!!!! Talk about depth! This app is not for the faint of heart or those in need of instant preset gratification. This is a sonic playground that will leave your imagination dancing with its possibilities. I've taken my iPad pros battery from 100% to 30% playing with this today. The interface becomes a lot less intimidating once you understand the flow. It's actually very intuitive and I can tell the time and thought placed into developing this was not rushed. A couple of bug fixes and user control enhancements and this will be an absolute five star app. I love the particle and control systems. So much awesomeness! I hope the synth community adopts this gem with open arms. It's a pretty special groundbreaking release for iOS.
Maybe the Best Sound/Song/Sound Physics App In Store!
Initially, years and years back, I stumbled across Dhalange MG and I was at once captivated with it’s literally hundreds of controls, adjustments and settings! That also put me off at the same time. Then a mental gaff on my part thinking the default Manual page with it’s diagram was all there was. The dark colors and lack of visual contrast makes missing things easy (idiot corporations think low contrast text font (increased eye strain) is so cool!? Corp. morons...at least for me. Then it was truly a standalone, which put me off as I use many music apps in AUM (or lately, ApeMatrix). Then the cost was significantly higher than most other apps at the time. I didn’t take the gamble till just a couple of years ago. I’ve still not done much with it as I still have issues with it. The built in app virtual keyboard plays one sound yet the AUM virtual keyboard is a completely different sound and I can’t figure out why. The app’s built in keyboard, astoundingly, does not have note sustain (hold, latch, whatever you want to call it.
I agree with virtually everything that’s been posted here. I still give it five stars as it was far ahead of it’s tome! Time to figure this beast out! 🤓👍
Wonderful App, Terrible to Sync with other apps
I love this app and it's really great as a sketch pad, but because of the buggy MIDI clock and Ableton Link it's too difficult to get this connected to other apps which was one of the things I'd really wanted from this app. Huge let down.
That being said, every time I open this thing, I usually get something decent going in under 5 minutes. It's a good app that REALLY needs some work on debugging. Happy to Beta test!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Joel Kivela
- 41.7 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Joel Kivelä
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.