Second Canvas Mauritshuis is your tool for exploring the beautiful Mauritshuis museum masterpieces in super high resolution, like never before.
Discover, interact, learn from stories told by Mauritshuis experts or choose your favorite detail and share it with your friends on social media, including the option of hooking it up to your TV screen at home or at school.
Created by Mauritshuis and Madpixel, Second Canvas Mauritshuis allows you to explore the 10 masterpieces from the museum’s collection, including the famous 'Girl with a Pearl Earring', and others like 'The Garden of Eden' and 'The Goldfinch', with the best quality and resolution.
Works you will find on Second Canvas Mauritshuis:
• Girl with a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675)
• The Garden of Eden with the Fall of Man by Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640) and Jan Brueghel (1568-1625)
• The Anatomy Lesson of Dr Nicolaes Tulp by Rembrandt (1606-1669)
• The Bull by Paulus Potter (1625-1654)
• View on Delft by Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675)
• The Goldfinch by Carel Fabritius (1622-1654)
• Ice Scene by Hendrick Avercamp (1585-1634)
• Old Woman and Boy with Candles by Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640)
• As the Old Sing, So Pipe the Young by Jan Steen (1625/1626-1679)
• Self-Portrait by Rembrandt (1606-1669)
• Super-zoom to explore the artworks with the best quality and discover hidden details. Specially for the Girl with a Pearl Earring and The Garden of Eden, where you will be able to zoom-in beyond the naked eye, up to the brushstroke level, and see the crackle, thanks to their Gigapixel resolution.
• Infrared vision for these two paintings, also in Gigapixel resolution, to reveal the drawing under the painting and discover the "pentimenti", even on the tiniest details.
• Discover amazing stories on all Mauritshuis masterpieces, detail by detail, told by museum experts: learn about the characters, symbology, technique, or the artist signature.
• New Gigapixel AudioTour feature: play a cinematic tour through the Gigapixel image to discover the artwork secrets while listening to the audio.
• Tell your own stories on social media, selecting the details you want to share in super-high resolution.
• Download the details with their stories so they can be accessed even when you’re offline or in airplane mode.
We hope you'll enjoy Second Canvas Mauritshuis. Tell us about your experience with the app and help us to improve it: SCMauritshuis@secondcanvas.net
For more information about Second Canvas:
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Not worth 1.99. Content too limited. Disappointing.
The detail and photos of the 10 paintings in the collection is fine. But I was expecting much more content considering the size and quality of the Mauritshuis collection. This is more of an advertisement for the developer of the software. If more art works are added later it might be worth it but for now don’t waste your money like I did.
Great as far as it goes
But it needs to go farther, much farther into the collection
- Stichting Koninklijk Kabinet van Schilderijen Mauritshuis
- 22.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- © of the HD images, Mauritshuis (The Hague, The Netherlands). © of the texts and stories, Mauritshuis (The Hague, The Netherlands). © of the Gigapixel images, Madpixel. © of Second Canvas platform
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.