We present The Colour Out of Space, the second volume of iLovecraft, the interactive collection dedicated to the master of terror H.P. Lovecraft.
Read, listen, play and move your device, to dive into the story like you've never done before. Going much further than reading a text with illustrations; the experience has animated and interactive scenes, coupled with sound effects, careful design and an original soundtrack, all joined together to immerse yourself in the bowels of one of the H.P. Lovecraft’s most acclaimed stories in an unprecedented way.
The Colour Out of Space is considered one of the best science fiction and terror stories of all time. It was first published in the September 1927 issue of the mythical magazine “Amazing Stories”, and instantly had a great reception among fans of the genre. The Providence genius broke the established molds and presented the greatest of horrors as a simple chromatic element that lurks and threatens the protagonists of the story, something really innovative for the time when the horror stories were based on vampires, ghosts and other more conventional monsters. Perhaps for this reason, this is one of Lovecraft's own favorite stories.
Now you can enjoy it in this new interactive format, and be part of the horror that stalked the hills of Arkham during the "strange days" ... If you dare.
• 110 pages (iPad version) / 173 pages (iPhone version)
• Original unabridged text: no adaptations.
• Available in 3 languages: English, Spanish and French.
• More than 63 interactive animations.
• 115 minutes of Interactive Original Soundtrack, composed by Miquel Tejada
• Illustrated and directed by David G. Forés.
• Extra content: Illustrator sketchbook and App creation processes.
• Jump to any page of the book from the table of contents.
• Page Memory: Return to the same page you left off from.
• Universal App: Pay once and have access from any iPhone or iPad device.
• Easy-to-use interface.
• Compatible with the latest iOS features.
• Requires iOS 8.1 or newer. Compatible with iPad 2 and later; iPhone 4s and later; iPod touch (5th generation)
• It is recommended to have a Wi-Fi connection in order to download the application
Ratings and Reviews
Passion for the subject shines on every page
This is a work of love and devotion. Well thought out and clever artwork highlights the story and brings it to life. It does not simply illustrate it. The artists and producers make the story even more frightening than the original not by making it more graphic but more relatable and real. I have seen several large and small screen adaptations of this particular story and I plan to see the one coming soon with Nicolas Cage but this has an intimacy and immediacy that stands on its own and draws you in in a way full animation or live action can’t because it lets you dwell and absorb the tale on your terms. I hope they do more of Lovecraft’s works.
Just got finished reading the story to my wife, who never read HPL, but who loved the whole audiovisual experience of this app. I remember finding a worn, 50 cent paperback at an old used bookstore called "The Colour Out of Space", buying it, and shivering in fear as I read it, some 50+ years ago. It made HPL my favorite writer as a kid and I voraciously read everything I could find by Mr Lovecraft. (I also remember a terrible movie adaptation of it from the 1960's, starring Boris Karloff, called "Die, Monster, Die" which as I recall didn't even credit this story as being the source for what the movie was based on. If you can find a copy, DON'T!) This app experience reminded me of how I felt reading the story the first time. Wonderful!
Great melding of mediums
Love the vibrating sights and sounds. I almost expected a stench and foul green smoke to emit from my phone or tentacle to break thru during some of those passages of Lovecraft. There’s an eerieness that I haven’t felt since I first saw The Ring. Some of the flying bugs also made me think of The Mist. You really make scary other worldly creatures of Necronomicon lore come to life. They’re like interactive graphic novels. Very cool. And intense. Great pairing of a scary soundtrack to the text. And I like the gothic look to the pages. Sometimes black, sometimes white. And was very inventive with being able to scroll around rooms or move branches. Gave it a nice POV feel with an exciting involved first person reader experience.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- iClassics Productions, S.L.
- 410.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 12+ Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © iClassics Productions, S.L. (2017-18)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.