A TERRIFYING NEW ADVENTURE FROM THE CREATOR OF "HOME"!
TESTED TO WORK WITH:
- iPhone 7 and newer
- iPad Air 2 and newer
WORSE THAN DEATH is a scary, emotional thriller about a high school reunion that goes horribly wrong. As Holly runs for her life, desperate to rescue her best friend Flynn from a terrible force that's hunting them both, she must survive unexpected truths about her home town, her friends, and even herself.
A HAIR-RAISING ADVENTURE!
Run, leap, crawl and hide through eight chilling locales in this pulp horror adventure game. You'll solve puzzles, use items that you find, and unearth terrible truths. But watch out! You'll have to make careful use of your environment to slip past the unseen horrors that now haunt the halls of your wretched home town. Make too much noise near a monster and it'll hear you, sending you fleeing to the next room for safety.
* Smoothly animated 2D visuals fused with original, high-res art drawn entirely by hand on an iPad Pro!
* Action-adventure gameplay that sees you crawling under objects, vaulting over obstacles, and racing for the nearest hiding spot to stay safe
* Rich, 3D positional audio that will get under your skin
Like with Frankenstein's monster, sometimes the pieces just don't all fit together.
This release fixes:
- an issue at the end of the game where pausing could cause a crash
- a rare issue where pausing the game could cause cause puzzle screen items to get jumbled (I mean, seriously?)
- a few minor typos we spotted while dredging the text lake
Ratings and Reviews
Great visuals but story left me wanting more
I downloaded this game on a whim since pixel art and horror stories are both my jam. In regards to visuals, I was not disappointed. The lighting and environment are beautiful and wonderfully detailed despite the pixelated style. The “closer examination” artwork is also nicely stylized without detracting from the ominous atmosphere.
My only issue, which is a rather large one for me, was with the story itself. Obviously I don’t want to spoil anything, but there were aspects about the plot that just didn’t seem to make sense in the light of the final conclusion, and overall it felt pretty lackluster and uninspired. There was nothing shocking or surprising and by the end of it I felt like I had had so many clues as to the conclusion that I was just ready for it to be over.
Overall, this wasn’t a bad game, but at the end of it I wasn’t exactly happy for having spent money on it either.
Fun puzzle-solving, deliciously grizzly, good story
This game is definitely worth the small handful of Loonies it costs. The story is fun to follow along and kept me engaged. Nothing groundbreaking—just a solid horror romp. The puzzles are not so hard that frustration gets in the way, but are still challenging enough to to be worth the effort. The character designs and overall aesthetic fit perfectly with the story. If I have any complaints, dodging the creature gets a bit tedious, but it’s a minor gripe and eventually you’ll learn strategies that work (Holly’s face when she gets caught is pretty great, though!). The app is cheap, so just buy it and enjoy a few fun evenings with headphones on in the dark. If it ain’t your jam, you’ve only lost the price of a cup of coffee. Me? I wore a stupid grin from the opening scene to the final (great) epilogue. Thanks!
A Solid Survival Horror Experience
It’s hard to come across actual horror titles on mobile so I’m happy to find them when I can. Overall this is pretty good for what it is. Controls and gameplay are very well done and had some effort put into them. I do wish the monster encounters weren’t so repetitive and simple but it could be far worse. Happy I gave this a try. Hope more people come across it as it deserves far more ratings.
- Benjamin Rivers Inc.
- 584.5 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Worse Than Death is © 2019 Benjamin Rivers Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.