Use your iPhone or iPad to develop and run locally your Node.js and React Native applications or collaborate in real-time with others to sandboxes on CodeSandbox.
play.js is a full-fledged development environment with the following features:
- A Node.js runtime environment.
- Sign in with your CodeSandbox account to easily edit live or import your sandboxes and continue working on the go.
- In-app web browser with various developer tools (console, node browser, source code viewer and layers inspector).
- Project templates: React.js, Vue.js, Next.js and many other frameworks.
- Git client with support for the following operations: clone, fetch, pull, push and commit.
- Dependencies resolution for Node.js projects.
- Real code autocompletion that reacts to your code and modules.
- Open in-place support.
- In-app documentation.
All these features flavoured with a great user experience: a delightful UI, custom fonts, light and dark modes, trackpad support and much more!
Get the app and start coding straight away.
Fixed various issues, like a crash while participating in a live collaboration session and a bug that would show the "Find and replace" option enabled when no files were open.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome app, but a suggestion
I really love the design, layout, and functionality of the app. I feel like it has the opportunity to replace a portion of my workflow, but there is a large area where I feel could be improved.
The React Native support is great to have, and I understand the great limitations of iPadOS compiling and so forth with RN. But it may be possible to support the Expo workflow since they already have an app and there isn’t any native components needed to support. If you could add that support, then this would be the app I think a lot of developers have been waiting for. React Native development on the go!
Great IDE, missing some features
This is a very capable and flexible IDE for students or even professionals wanting to turn an iPad into a real development device.
However, with that in mind, there are some shortcomings, annoyances, as well as vital features that serious developers will find missing. Just to list a few that I find significant:
- Old Node version. Node v12 LTS will reach end-of-life next year (end of April 2022) and many newer frameworks, such as SvelteKit, don’t support this older Node version. Roadmaps for upgrading to newer node versions need to made transparent, rather than saying “we’ll update our Node implementation not more than once or twice a year”.
- No git rebase, cherry-pick, reset, or restore functionality.
- Lack of a true terminal, so you’re forced to use the GUI (the interface is good and well-designed, but operations are often faster to do via terminal commands!).
- Not all web frameworks are supported (my Gatsby projects, for instance, don’t build well).
- Scripts don’t stop by themselves when they should.
- Dependency management buried in the Settings menu (it’d be more useful as its own tab, maybe switch places with Documentation?).
All in all though, a solid IDE. There’s a lot of potential here!
The Best IDE for React JS
The setup for this is amazing! Absolutely love the new design! The old design felt tacky, like it wasn’t made for iPad OS. As a full time programmer, I am blown away with what they have been able to accomplish for this application! It has came a long way in a year, can’t wait to see where it will be a year from now! Please developers keep up the great work! I think you all have set the standard for how straightforward an IDE can be on the iPad! I have a few ideas that I would love to share with you for new features and improvements!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- CodeSandbox BV
- 121.7 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 CodeSandbox BV
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.