Portal is an ambient sound app for iOS with a difference. Inspired by travel, it combines world-class immersive "3D" sound recordings with beautiful visuals and imaginative design to help with focus, relaxation, meditation and sleep.
Whether you're in a noisy office, on a busy commute or just trying to calm a racing mind, Portal's immersive soundscapes and soothing interface can provide an escape from some of the noise and distractions of modern life.
You can also mix Portal's audio with other apps to add ambience to podcasts, music, audiobooks or guided meditation. Listen to an audiobook surrounded by a thunderstorm or a podcast next to a cosy log fire.
Coming soon - sync your smart lights with Portal for full-room ambience.
- 14 unique Portals, specially chosen to help you sleep, relax and focus
- Immersive 3D nature sounds, from waterfalls to thunderstorms to crashing waves, including sound content from an Emmy award winning sound recordist
- Powered by some of the same audio technologies as VR to bring you 3D sound through regular headphones
- Stunning HD visuals captured with drones and regular cameras
- Beautiful dark interface design
- 3 interface modes - sleep, focus and relax
- Countdown timer - to set specific focus periods, sleep timers and short rests
- Breathing exercises - relax to the sounds of nature
- Focused task option - for a simplified Pomodoro technique
- Alarm clock, to wake up gently to a different environment each day
- Beautiful and simple design - we hope like no other app you’ve experienced
- Optimised for the new edge-to-edge iPhone and iPad Pro displays
- With much more coming soon...
What our users are using Portal for:
- As natural white noise to help with sleep (great for babies too)
- As background ambience in the office
- To help with focus while studying
- To help improve concentration and creativity while working
- To help calm anxiety
- To add relaxing ambience to a busy commute
- As beautiful natural ambience for meditation and yoga
- On flights to help cut out cabin noise, calm anxiety and improve sleep
- To help mask the effects of tinnitus
PLEASE NOTE: Portal makes use of some of the latest technologies available on iOS and can be demanding for older iPhones and iPads. An iPhone 6S or iPad Air 2 or newer is recommended for the best experience.
Thanks to everyone for your amazing feedback, suggestions and support!
This is a small maintenance update fixing a few bugs introduced in the previous release.
Please do keep sending your feedback, suggestions and ideas for new Portals to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ratings and Reviews
While there may be a ton of apps like this on the App Store, I’ll go ahead and say that this one is by far my favorite. The soundscapes are so detailed and have so much movement that it actually seems like you’re surrounded by the scene. I can put on my headphones and become completely engulfed by the sounds. The app itself is very beautifully designed as well, something a lot of other apps fall short on.
I hope the Hue integration comes shortly!
It's good, but need some voiceover accessibility improvements.
The sounds are really awesome in this app, good job. Also good job for implementing airplay support to HomePods at Cetera, that just makes things sound a lot more realistic. I like that when you open the app, the app plays the last sound you were listening to, no need to select from a list. I also like the background activity, and the mix with other apps feature, because I can listen to audio books or meditations from another app while listening to this app as well.
The only thing I would ask for is better VoiceOver support. I am able to navigate through the list of sounds, and figure out basic things in the app, but I can't use other features like the timer, the breathing exercises you provided in the app, and the sleep alarm function. Other than that, good app for listening to relaxing sounds while I am listening to a book, or other meditations, etc.
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for this very thoughtful review, it’s really appreciated!
You’re absolutely right on the need for accessibility/voiceover improvements in the app and it’s definitely on our radar of things we want to implement.
We can’t give a timeline at the moment but when we start work on these improvements if you’d be interested in helping us with testing do drop us an email at email@example.com and we’ll be in touch.
Excellent app. Loaded with features. Huge file size though
Love it. Only problem is it’s file size. It’s 500mgs. If space is a issue for you then you may want to seriously consider uninstalling a few things first as this is a must have. Wish the developers could’ve done something about the file size but considering how beautiful the app is and how crispy the UI runs, looks and feels it all makes sense.
Developer Response ,
Hi there, thanks so much for this wonderful review and for making some room for us! You’re absolutely right on the file size - it was done as a compromise to allow the app to work smoothly and well offline and to not overly compress the audio and video. We work on reducing this though by allowing you to select which “portals” are downloaded which should help to reduce the file size and free up a bit of space.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.