Free 1-month trial! Starfish is designed to strictly implement David Allen's GTD methodology.
Based on the book "Getting Things Done" and designs released by David Allen during the GTD Summit in June 2019, Starfish works with you as you implement and follow GTD. *
The app is organized the way you'd set up a paper GTD system as described in Getting Things Done, with "Inbox", "Lists", "Calendar" and "Reference" as separate tabs.
- Go to Lists > Next Actions and add some contexts, like:
- At Computer
- At Office (miscellaneous)
- At Home
- Agendas (for people and meetings)
- Mind sweep all the "stuff" clouding your mind into your Inbox. Don't worry about processing them, just tap, enter, back to Inbox, repeat.
- Once your mind is clear, get some coffee, then come back and process your inbox. Starfish helps you rapidly process your inbox using a condensed GTD flowchart and automatically sorts your items into the right list:
- Is this item actionable?
- Trash it (trash can),
- Defer it (clock icon), or
- Move it to Reference (box icon).
- More than one step to complete?
- Tap the multi-lined-note icon;
it's a "Project" in GTD terms.
- Single action?
- Tap the single-lined-note icon.
- Ready to get to work? Go to Lists > Next Actions, select a context, and pick an action. You can tap through to the action's project, take notes, update the status, etc.
Not just another list manager - frictionlessly implements GTD to work with you as you implement and execute GTD:
- Condensed flowchart lets you rapidly process inbox items to Someday/Maybe, Tickler File, Project, Next Actions and Reference lists.
- Process email directly from your inbox - no more forwarding.
- Delegate actions via email from within the app without having to look at your inbox and get distracted.
- Projects auto-group to make sure they're kept current: those that need next actions, those that are active, then those that are waiting for delegated actions.
- Areas of Focus let you manage projects within areas like work, personal, etc.
- Add notes to inbox items, actions, projects or reference items - Starfish auto-timestamps them for you.
- Link reference and support materials to projects.
- Search all your projects.
- See your "Starfish - Get Things Done" and Calendar events on the Calendar tab.
- Weekly Review checklist helps you keep your lists up to date.
Feed into your inbox so you don't miss any ideas:
- Add an IMAP account to have email come directly into your GTD inbox.
- Quick-add items on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with home screen shortcut.
- Add items to your inbox using Siri on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Select text or URL in any app that supports sharing and share it into your Starfish inbox.
Built to work smoothly on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch , and Mac:
- Automatically syncs via iCloud to your devices, no login or accout setup needed.
- Auto-saves as you go.
- Written in native iOS, iPadOS and MacOS for maximum performance and Apple-like interface.
- One subscription covers all your devices, no per-platform charges or surprises.
- Link reference items to your other tools - cloud storage, email programs, etc. - for a centralized place from which to rule your digital realm.
- Full support for dark mode.
Subscriptions will automatically renew unless canceled within 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can cancel anytime with your iTunes account settings. Any unused portion of a free trial will be forfeited if you purchase a subscription.
Terms of Service: http://www.cognitivestarfish.com/starfish/starfish-terms-of-service/
* The developers are not affiliated with David Allen & Co; We are just avid followers of the Getting Things Done methodology.
Some long-awaited features:
- Navigation uses the new sidebar navigation style on the iPad.
- You can set an expiration date on reference items so those order details you stored can clean themselves up.
- iPad: Keyboard shortcuts! You can navigate to _visible_ sidebar lists using command 1-0, and _visible_ next action lists using cmd-opt 1-0 (hint: double-swipe to the right on your magic trackpad to open the sidebar).
- You can select an item in the Tickler File to see the item’s detail screen.
The projects list gets some handy workflow improvements to make it even easier to see what you can work on right now:
- When looking at the list of projects, sections without projects in them don’t display section headings.
- Projects whose next action is an event appear in a “Scheduled/Deferred” section on the project list instead of in the “Active” section.
- Projects whose next actions are all deferred appear in a "Scheduled/Deferred" section on the project list instead of in the "Active" section.
And, some interface tweaks to make your work go more smoothly:
- When you add a new Reference item, the empty cell appears at the top of the list instead of the bottom, so you can find it.
- You can scroll the calendar item detail screen - handy if you have a lot of notes in a calendar entry.
- If you're looking at the Tickler File when a tickler file item becomes "due", it moves automatically to the list from which it came before your very eyes.
- When a project moves from the tickler file because its defer time comes, it re-appears on the project list.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great for GTD
This is a solid, simple to use app for doing GTD. It makes quick work of the inbox/flow chart to capture and clarify items, and keeps the lists defined like GTD does - no “tags” or other things I found caused friction in other apps. I’ve switched from OmniFocus - so far so good. Probably best only for serious GTDers, as it very much enforces that methodology. If you want a lot of flexibility to set up your own variations on GTD, Things or OmniFocus are probably for you. If you want to really do GTD, try this app.
- Grant Grueninger
- 6.9 MB
Requires iOS 14.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2019-2020 Grant Grueninger
- In-App Purchases
- Starfish Annual $59.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.