Pencl Notes is an all-in-one digital notebook for creating and organizing handwritten documents.
Experience the beauty and freedom of handwriting combined with our digital world on your iOS devices. Pencl Notes offers the most precise and latency-free input recognition using Apple PencilKit to provide an unmatched writing experience.
Pencl Notes takes your note-taking to a whole new level. Create stunning notes in university, impress your customers or just let your creativity flow
UNMATCHED WRITING EXPERIENCE
• Use a normal pen, highlighters or even lead pencils
• Experience an input latency of only 6ms (instead of 20ms) thanks to Apple PenclKit
• Customize color, width and opacity to draw any stroke
NOT ONLY A REPLACEMENT FOR PAPER
• Move or copy strokes and text with the lasso-tool
• Erase whole lines or only small parts with two different erasers
• NEW: Draw lines using a digital ruler
• Write on PDF-Documents and import images
• Work on multiple documents side-by-side using splitscreen-mode (iPad only)
INNOVATIVE SHAPE DETECTION: SHAPEMODE
• ShapeMode replaces your hand drawn lines with perfectly straight shapes
• Change color, corners, position and opacity of shapes
• Draw coordinate systems in a matter of seconds
• Fill a shape or keep it as an outline
NEVER LIFT YOUR PEN
• Different gestures speed up your workflow
• Doubletap with one or to fingers to undo or redo an action
• Hold down your finger anywhere to reveal the tool picker
• All of your documents are seamlessly synchronized between your devices using iCloud
• Synchronization happens automatically, just activate it in settings
ORGANIZE YOUR DOCUMENTS
• Sort your documents by name, creation date or time of your last edit
• Your documents are organized in customizable categories and sections that are easy to create and order
• Access categories and sections from the sidebar
JUST THE START
• Pencl Notes will be actively expanded by useful new features:
• New shapes for ShapeMode
• Searching documents
• Copy pages in different documents
• More (interactive) paper templates
Follow @penclnotes on Instagram to stay updated!
NEW IN VERSION 1.4.2
- Bugfix: Adding the first page to a new document now works as expected
- Bugfix: Changing a paper template of an existing page is now possible
- Closing a document now brings you back to the category you were in before
Ratings and Reviews
So i currently use GoodNotes 5 and just wanted a separate app to test out different formats. I like the idea of Pencl notes and the writing algorithm is decent enough not to have serious lag. The app itself is organized quite nicely and i like the background color of the home menus with all the notes.
Few things i would like to see in the future :
- Better copy and paste; being able to copy parts of an uploaded image or file easier
- Smoother transition when opening documents; I’ve noticed a sluggish feel to it
- Search feature of course that highlights the searched word in a noticeable color; preferably some sort of lavender
- Ability to add pictures to specific pages easier; I’ve noticed I have to scroll to the absolute bottom of a page i want the image on or it will add it to the previous page instead
- Maybe an automatic fit to page when zooming in or out just to make the process more convenient
Personal things i would like:
- Voice recording integration
- Ability to move images between pages without having to re add the image; simply being able to drag it over to the next page would be great
Overall the app is pretty dope and i can see it taking off more in the future as a good mix between notability and Good notes. I definitely will recommend this app more when some of these features are added, good luck to the developer and his team!
Developer Response ,
thank you for your detailed review! Glad you like the new update. Some of the features that you mentioned are already on my todo list. Regarding the images: I made a little correction to the algorithm so images should now be added to the correct page without having to scroll to the absolut bottom of the page.
Contact me anytime if there’s anything I can do!
Really close but still missing some stuff
So I was originally looking for an app that utilize apple’s pencilkit and also allowed for zooming in which the default notes app is missing.
This fixes the zoom issue and the handwriting is fluid and good paper options. However the problems with the app are pretty significant to switch me to fully going to this app and recommending it.
1. You can’t import PDFs just to mark up and keep in your folder, or at least I have not being able to figure it out.
2. You can’t double tap to Re-center the page like in every other notes app
3. No automatic straight line tool, but that may be an issue with pencil kit
Especially being such a new app, this is great! With it being a blend of notability and goodnotes, I can see that the future of this app could be amazing!
- there’s occasional lag in the writing input (not quite as smooth as the native apple notes and notability yet but it’s getting there!)
- voice recording
- more shapes! (And hopefully better recognition!)
- notability and procreate has this feature that when you draw a line and don’t lift your pen for a second, it registers as creating a straight line (procreate also has the feature that when u add an addition finger press without lifting the pen, it snaps to 0, 30, 45, 60 ,90 ... degrees which is amazing)
- choice between switching to the pixel or stroke eraser
- double tap to undo and triple tap to redo would make this feature even more of a streamlined experience
- when zoomed in and using the ruler, there is a gap between the line created and where the ruler is that I wish was not there :(
- brush pen(s)!! (If it can be like the procreate brush pen that would be amazing!)
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your suggestions! I’m gonna try my best to bring the app forward :)
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Miguel Schulz
- 39.4 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Miguel Schulz
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.