Kaku is a Japanese learning app aimed at beginner-to-intermediate learners. It helps them with sentence structure/formation by combining a number of tools into one app:
- A translator to give you live feedback on your sentence structure
- Jisho.org dictionary look-up on highlighted Japanese or English words. Quick Replace (⌘ + R) on a highlighted English word to replace it with the Japanese equivalent.
- Inline Translate (⌘ + I) any highlighted sentences
- Conjugate any highlighted noun/verb/adjective to various forms
- Shadow Reader which provides audio output and highlights the text being spoken
- Saved sheets that sync between your iPhone and iPad so you always have them with you
- Common word lists across many categories
- Grammar examples from the popular Tae Kim's Grammar Guide that provide a template for your sentences
- Clipboard auto-translate so you can copy any text snippet on the web and quickly see what it means
- Reader Mode that improves readability on larger devices
- Widgets to immerse in your studies with a constant rotation of Japanese words and definitions
Please send any bug reports or suggestion to @kaku_app and follow for updates.
Highlight any verb and conjugate it to the ~te-form from the menu.
Ratings and Reviews
Don’t Waste Your Time
Fancy design but that’s about all it has going for it. Ads are everywhere which I normally would be fine with but every useful feature of the app is paywalled. The paywall, of course, is also subscription base with the lifetime purchase being $25, a ridiculous value. I can’t even use the app to decide whether or not it’s worth $25, I get berated by a pop up telling me I need to spend $25 to even see what else is in the app.
I honestly never leave reviews but this was so appalling I had to. I understand the app is in a niche market but there are other ways to monetize your app.
Received an email from developer stating that they could provide a code to test out the app for a limited time by checking out their Twitter. Upon looking at their Twitter, I see a post by them calling me an entitled scum, how I don’t deserve to use their app, and soliciting people to report my review. Not a great look.
As you can’t even scroll down on some tabs of the app without being told to cough up some cash I’m not sure how the developer expects someone to buy their app without even being able to access 75% of it. I hope everyone that looks at this app sincerely reconsiders their choice and looks elsewhere.
Essential for Learning Japanese
I have only recently started learning Japanese, but I have found Kaku to be essential in keeping myself immersed in the language everyday. The grammar examples have helped me to understand and work with various conjugations and special word forms. The selected words make Kaku easy to use in quick situations.
A lot of love and care has gone into this app. If you have any inclinations in getting the app; do it! It is wonderful to use on a daily basis, and I know it will continue to help me in my language learning journey for a long time.
Awesome premium features
I use this app on my iPad in my class all the time and really recommend upgrading to premium to access the text-to-speech, better translations/dictionary and reader mode.
With so many language learning apps out there, this app is a hidden gem.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your support, I’m glad you’re getting great value out of the premium upgrade!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dittman Shum
- 79.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 ディトマン
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Monthly Subscription $1.99
- Premium Lifetime $19.99
- Premium Annual Subscription $4.99
- Modest Tip $2.99
- Generous Tip $9.99
- Premium Weekly Subscription $0.99
- No Ads $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.