Kartasto is map browser that talks directly with map APIs. You can connect to Tile Map, WMTS and WMS services and browse their contents.
The app is preconfigured with tens of maps from open APIs, including topographic, satellite imagery and nautical maps from different providers.
Draw new layers using mouse and share the drawings as GeoDrawing files with other. Add layers on the base map and configure new layers from tile or WFS sources. Shapefile and GeoJSON files can also be imported as layers.
Measure distances and calculate areas enclosed by multiple map points. Create tracks that follow roads between coordinates.
The map widget shows a map around your current position and updates in the background.
Kartasto also works wonderfully on iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Future versions will add more exciting features.
Kartasto Pro unlocks full functionality of the app:
- Add Tile Map, WMTS and WMS maps.
- Add WFS, GeoJSON and Shapefile map layers.
- Draw map layers as GeoDrawing files.
- Import tile maps using built-in browser.
- Share your location with groups.
- Draw your own tracks as GPX files.
- Import GPX files and view them on map.
- Download map areas for offline use.
- Get new features in future versions.
If some map available via open data APIs is not yet included, or you want to make your maps available in Kartasto, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also follow on Twitter and Instagram at @KartastoApp.
This app has been built by one developer as a hobby project during many evenings and weekends. Please be nice and take this into account when giving feedback.
Icon symbol credit to Wolf Böse (Creative Commons).
- Map downloader has been reimplemented in a simpler and more reliable way. Previously downloaded maps must be downloaded again.
- Other small fixes.
For more tips and details around development of Kartasto, follow @KartastoApp on Twitter and Instagram. Contact me if you want to add your map to Kartasto.
Ratings and Reviews
Nice interface, syncs across devices, respects your privacy
I was looking for an app to replace Gaia GPS, due to concerns about their privacy practices after they joined Outside… and was really pleased to find this nice suite of apps by an indie developer who really gets the privacy issue! It has a nice, consistent interface across iPhone, iPad and Mac and I can drop GPX files into the Kartasto folder in iCloud and my data become instantly available on all my devices. But be warned, it’s primarily an app for viewing your waypoints and tracks on a map and has only limited navigation features.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Pasi Salenius
- 9.9 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2022 Fresh Bits
- In-App Purchases
- Kartasto Pro $9.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.