Kartasto is map browser that talks directly with map APIs. You can connect to Tile Map, WMTS and WMS services and browse their contents.
The app is preconfigured with tens of maps from open APIs, such as
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) Topo and Imagery maps
- NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) nautical maps for North America
- Canada CanVec map
- China Gaode Streets and GeoQ Basemap maps
- GSI (Geospatial Information Authority of Japan) Global map
- LINZ (Land Information New Zealand) Topo50 map for New Zealand
- France IGN (Institut national de l’information géographique et forestière) Topo
- SOSM (Swiss OpenStreetMap Association) map
- Luxembourg Topo map
- Czech Republic CÚZK Topo map
- Topographic maps for Scandinavia (Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark)
- Nautical maps for Finland and Norway
- Several OpenStreetMap variations (OpenTopoMap, CyclOSM, Hike Bike Map)
Add layers over the base map and configure your own from map tile or WFS sources. Also Shapefile and GeoJSON files can be imported as layers.
Measure distances between points and along longer tracks on the map. Optionally route along walking paths between each point.
The map widget allows you to show your favourite map that automatically updates to follow your current position.
Kartasto also works wonderfully on iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Future versions will add more exciting features.
Kartasto Pro unlocks full functionality of the app:
- Add your own maps from Tile Map, WMTS and WMS APIs.
- Add new map layers from WFS, GeoJSON and Shapefile data.
- Bring in maps from web pages using built-in browser.
- Draw tracks on the map and save them to GPX files.
- Import GPX files and view their information on the map.
- Download map areas to your device for offline use.
- Get all new features added in future versions.
If some map available via open data APIs is not yet included, or you want to make your maps available in Kartasto, please email me at email@example.com. Also follow on Twitter and Instagram at @KartastoApp.
This app has been built by one developer as a hobby project during many evenings and weekends. Please be nice and take this into account when giving feedback.
Icon symbol credit to Wolf Böse (Creative Commons).
- Tile maps can now be configured automatically using a built-in browser. Start by adding a new map or layer, selecting "Tile Map API" and "Browse" in the URL field. Navigate to pages that contain tile maps and the browser automatically discovers their tile URLs. Once you have selected your map, adjust other parameters, such as "Tile size" and "Max zoom level", so that the map renders correctly at all zoom levels.
- Navigate to coordinates by tapping the target crosshair or long pressing on the map. End navigation mode by tapping the target on the map.
- Target crosshair is now always shown on the map. Have you noticed that the target also works as a button and you can add new markers on the map by tapping it?
- Pulled back change that showed an empty maps list until user added maps to it, since this caused great confusion among Kartasto users, partly for goods reasons.
- Updated Estonia's Maa-amet map WMS-layer.
For more tips and details around development of Kartasto, follow @KartastoApp on Twitter and Instagram. Contact me if you want to add your map to Kartasto.
Basic functionality and map viewing will always be free in Kartasto. If you like the app, let your friends know about it too!
Ratings and Reviews
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Pasi Salenius
- 7.9 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2021 Fresh Bits
- In-App Purchases
- Kartasto Pro $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.