StopTheMadness is a Safari extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
Made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. The support link has documentation and my email address.
Many web sites deliberately disable user interface features in Safari that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness re-enables those features for you in Safari:
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)! Automatically loads the original "canonical" web site page instead of Google AMP.
• Removes tracking tags such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of URLs.
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search, Gmail, Facebook, and DuckDuckGo.
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping").
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Stops URL shorteners. Checks the links you click in Safari for well-known link shorteners — bit.ly, tinyurl.com, l.facebook.com, t.co, etc. — and loads the unshortened destination URL instead of the shortened URL. This occurs without setting any cookies or other site data, so you can't be tracked by your click.
• Stop videos from autoplaying. This works even on sites where Safari doesn't stop autoplay, such as YouTube. And YouTube video ads are automatically skipped! Also stops videos from following you down the page when you scroll on many sites.
• Stop sites in Safari from pausing your audio in a background app such as Apple Music.
• Show native video controls. Use Picture-in-Picture from Safari on sites that don't normally support it, including YouTube!
• Automatically select the highest video quality on YouTube!
• Hides the annoying popup banners prompting you to get the app on Google, Google Maps, DuckDuckGo, IMDb, Instagram, Quora, Reddit, and Tumblr!
• Custom URL redirects! Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc. You can create any redirect that you want!
• Stop keyboard page zoom. Stops the page from zooming in when you show the software keyboard!
• Enable pinch-to-zoom on sites that prevent it, such as old reddit.
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force external links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Force external links to open in a new tab instead of the current tab. This is great if you're scrolling through a list of links and want to open each one in a new tab.
• Force images to the front. Bypass the transparent overlay on sites such as Instagram that prevents you from dragging and opening the contextual menu on images.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters!
Fixed iCloud import error "Invalid settings."
Ratings and Reviews
Unique Outstanding Design App!
Well I am out taking a walk to get some fresh air, but my ole Bones feels it’s time to take a break and talk about this great outstanding Design App that the Developer has created for you myself and our family. Never thought Security would be so important today, but Crooks have created words like Scam Spoof and so on! They are not stupid they change things hoping to get your money and Identity. The Developer put this unique Software into play to help us stop the Fraud that Hits us everyday. The Developer has put a great deal of time hard work and dedication that I would call loyalty and love into this Software! How do I know look at the number of updates that has been made to keep up with the Crooks in the World! I hope if you have taken the opportunity and time to read this you will Download this Unique Outstanding Design App! What do you have to loose ( maybe more than the time it took to Download the App! ) Well it’s time for this ole man to get on with my walk so Mr. Developer I Truly Appreciate this Unique Outstanding Design App and I Tip My Hat 🎩 to You and say “Thanks “
Doesn’t block Google result tracking links
The first thing I tested in this browser extension was the Google search results redirect tracking. It doesn’t work at all. Enable the extension follow all the instructions and do a Google search. Now long press on a result link and you will see that you cannot copy the link without getting the Google redirect. Furthermore, clicking the link shows that the Google redirect is still active since you can watch your browser going to Google before it goes to the result page.
This was the only reason that I bought this extension. Perhaps it works for other use cases.
I will still leave a good rating since the author of this app contacted me immediately when I complained about this.
Developer Response ,
This is fixed in version 7.1, three days after the review. It was an issue with Request Desktop Website on iPad.
I ask that customers please work with me on issues, before running off to write a review. I can release a fix very quickly.
Mostly invisible, but with noticeable performance improvements
I would very much consider myself a power-user of Safari. I shudder when yet another website suggests I download their app (who doesn’t have enough apps?). When I check battery usage, Safari is high and by far my #1 culprit, previously taking up 60-70% of my phone’s 10-day battery usage.
That said, while most of the privacy enhancements of this app work invisibly in the background, one thing I’ve noticed as a major
Safari user is increased battery life. Not a whole lot, but I feel like my phone’s battery stretches another 5-10% a day. Safari drains way less of my weekly battery life now and is down to around 40-50% of total battery use over the past 10 days.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jeff Johnson
- 789.5 KB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Jeffrey Johnson
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.