StopTheMadness is a Safari extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
Many web sites deliberately disable user interface features in Safari that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness re-enables those features for you in Safari:
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)! Automatically loads the original "canonical" web site page instead of Google AMP.
• Removes tracking tags such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of URLs.
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search, Gmail, Facebook, and DuckDuckGo.
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping").
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Stops URL shorteners. Checks the links you click in Safari for well-known link shorteners — bit.ly, tinyurl.com, l.facebook.com, t.co, etc. — and loads the unshortened destination URL instead of the shortened URL. This occurs without setting any cookies or other site data, so you can't be tracked by your click.
• Stop video autoplay. This works even on sites where the browser doesn't stop autoplay. You can also stop sites in Safari from pausing your audio in a background app.
• Show video controls. Use Picture-in-Picture from Safari on sites that don't normally support it!
• Hides the annoying popup banners prompting you to get the app on Google, DuckDuckGo, Reddit, Tumblr, and Instagram!
• Enable pinch-to-zoom on sites that prevent it, such as old reddit.
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force external links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Force external links to open in a new tab instead of the current tab. This is great if you're scrolling through a list of links and want to open each one in a new tab.
• Force images to the front. Bypass the transparent overlay on sites that prevents you from dragging and opening the contextual menu on images.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters!
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. The support link has documentation and my email address.
• Fixed a bug where URL-specific options created with a path at the end failed to match web pages with a URL query after the path.
• Sort the URL-specific options alphabetically in the popup list.
Ratings and Reviews
Mostly invisible, but with noticeable performance improvements
I would very much consider myself a power-user of Safari. I shudder when yet another website suggests I download their app (who doesn’t have enough apps?). When I check battery usage, Safari is high and by far my #1 culprit, previously taking up 60-70% of my phone’s 10-day battery usage.
That said, while most of the privacy enhancements of this app work invisibly in the background, one thing I’ve noticed as a major
Safari user is increased battery life. Not a whole lot, but I feel like my phone’s battery stretches another 5-10% a day. Safari drains way less of my weekly battery life now and is down to around 40-50% of total battery use over the past 10 days.
I really wish the UX/UI was easier to understand without reading the long help page. Maybe the developer could add some hints ( like hit return to add a custom site; or nothing happens).
But overall this is a power user Safari extension.
The macOS version of this app may be my favorite piece of software so I’m thrilled to have it on iOS too. Possibly the best deal in the AppStore. (Glowing review notwithstanding, I am not in any way affiliated with developer—aside from being a huge fan.) Seriously: a great deal for a great app.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jeff Johnson
- 584.7 KB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Jeffrey Johnson
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.