+++ REVIEWS +++
Piper Dr. Angus MacDonald says: "I was intrigued by this app and now feel I have a greater understanding of what canntaireachd is and how that understanding can help interpretation of tunes. I would recommend this to pipers at an early stage as well as pipers who have already explored Piobaireachd."
Dr. Jack Taylor (President of the Piobaireachd Society) says: "You get a good mix of the detailed and the basics, and I found myself coming up to speed quite quickly using the learning section. I would recommend it to anybody who
wants to get to know more about it."
+++ INFORMATION +++
The Canntaireachd Tutor introduces you to the Campbell Canntaireachd (CC), an ancient codified pipers’ language, contextualised with its corresponding staff notation and terminology. Listen to Allan MacDonald singing the CC-vocabulary and become fluent in this unique learning, teaching and memorising system. You can challenge what you have learned through three self-testing games. Additionally, a reference section allows you to quickly find and identify any vocable of the CC.
The importance of singing or chanting an instrumental tune in order to explore ways of expressing it has been highlighted by numerous cultures. Literacy in the CC will allow you to access one of the earliest and most important primary sources of pibroch: You will be able to read and play directly from the CC-manuscript, which has been made available online in PDF-format for free. You will encounter variations of pieces that differ from what has been published on the score. Additionally, you will come across numerous tunes that have not been published at all and that can only be found in this manuscript. Be part of re-discovering this inspiring bagpipe music, re-introducing it to the piping community.
As a user of this app you will be granted access to a password proteced area. It includes audio recordings of a number of opening phrases from pibroch grounds sung using canntaireachd. It also includes links to the corresponding PDF of the CC-manuscript. The password is given on the starting screen of the app.
The Canntaireachd Tutor includes:
* All of the CC-vocabulary in written and sung form (including 'new' vocables that seem to have been overseen in past publications)
* A study section that allows you to work FROM or TO the CC-vocabulary
* A self-testing section including three games which allow you to monitor your learning progress in a fun way
* A broad introduction to canntaireachd and the Gaelic terminology as used by pipers (including Gaelic pronunciation)
* A reference section structured by both the CC-vocabulary and the terminology as used by pipers
* All audio recordings (Gaelic, canntaireachd) as well as the handwriting by Allan MacDonald of Glenuig
The app “Canntaireachd Tutor“ is published by Pìob is Ceòl UG (haftungsbeschränkt). The app is subject to the regulations of the respective app-store.
Our app does not collect personal data. Consequently, we cannot – and have no desire to – pass on any personal data of any user to third parties. Furthermore the app does not use any tracking tools. The app only uses the memory of your device to save the highscores you achieve in the learning games the app provides.
Apple App Store: https://www.apple.com/privacy/
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Piob is Ceol UG (haftungsbeschraenkt)
- 18.4 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Pìob is Ceòl UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.