DianHua Dictionary is a Chinese English dictionary and Study Tool for iOS.
DianHua Dictionary is a Chinese English dictionary for iOS. Using data from the CC-CEDICT project, DianHua Dictionary provides search support for English, Mandarin Pinyin (with or without tones), Traditional Characters, Simplified Characters, and mixed searches consisting of any combination of the above.
Other features of DianHua Dictionary include:
- Search History: All search terms entered into the Search field are stored in your Search History. Touch any term in the list to see the results.
- Bookmarks: Arrange all of the words you are studying into a nested hierarchy of Folders.
- Writing Practice: Under the Study tab, you can practice typing or writing characters using any of the iPhone's Simplified or Traditional keyboards, including the character drawing keyboards. Choose whether you want to see Pinyin and/or English for the prompt and draw or type the appropriate Chinese character into the box provided.
- Flashcards: Select any combination of Traditional, Simplified, English, and Pinyin for the Front and Back of the cards and grade your confidence in your answer. If you choose to use the Difficulty sorting algorithm, more difficult words will be shown more often than words you tend to answer correctly.
- Numbers: Convert numeric entries to Simplified and/or Traditional variants including their Banking equivalents. Touch the audio icon to hear arbitrary numbers spoken.
- DianHuaDictionary.com: Search from your browser, sync between multiple devices, export, and import data.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
iOS 11 compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
I'm so glad this app is out and free! Overall, it's great, but there are a few things that will make this a 5 star app for me. Like another reviewer said, the tops of the Chinese characters are cut off. Another issue is the translation from Chinese to English. The dictionary doesn't give the best, most straight-forward translation in the first few choices given and the actual translation I'm looking for is usually hidden somewhere toward the end. "Dian hua", for example, should very logically point to "telephone", but the first half of the choices are all longer phrases with "dian hua" in it. The app also doesn't seem to recognize pinyin without the tone markings, so I have to search "dian4 hua4" rather than just "dian hua", which most other translation software can deal with. Overall, a great job, and I look forward to updates that correct these issues!
Stopped working on my phone
Love this app! No longer opens upon (or shortly after) installing iOS 14. Please fix!
DianHua audio doesn’t work. Please update
The developer, JSQ, LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Jason Koeninger
- 123.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2009-2017 JSQ, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.