Over 140,000 definitions • Conjugates thousands of English verbs • Hundreds of usage notes and examples • No internet connection required
Ultralingua makes apps for people who love languages. You can count on our English dictionary and thesaurus to provide all the content you need, along with extra features that help you get the most out of the dictionary. Use our verb conjugation tool to find complete conjugations of thousands of verbs in all standard forms, and the thesaurus to find synonyms and antonyms when you need them with no internet connection required.
• Over 75,000 entries with 140,000 definitions
• Tap-and-hold any word or phrase and choose "Speak" from the popup menu to hear that word spoken using Apple's built-in text-to-speech feature.
• Thousands of biographic and geographic entries, as well as etymologies (root word histories)
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Hundreds of usage notes about troublesome constructions
• Smart search results in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Conjugations for thousands of English verbs
• Includes all standard tenses and forms
• Smart search finds infinitives and catches misspellings
• Must-have reference tool for any student or language professional
• On iPhone/iPod touch, conjugate a verb from the dictionary results by tapping it
• Translate numerals into English text with the number tool
• Tap the history button to view the 50 most recent dictionary definitions, verb conjugations, and more in one place. Sort the list alphabetically or by date, and choose to clear the list completely or delete one entry at a time.
• No internet connection required
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
View our reviews below to see why users love this app, and remember to let us know what you think!
Are you learning English? A monolingual English dictionary is a must-have tool for any English language learner. This app includes conjugations of thousands of English verbs in all standard forms. The all-English data also helps immerse students in the language, which is shown to increase proficiency and retention.
This universal app will run on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, so you can purchase it once and load it onto all your devices. The iPad and iPhone/iPod touch versions look and behave differently to give you a great experience on every device you own. The interface will change, but you’ll always have the same outstanding language data and tools inside.
Dictionaries are available from Ultralingua for many languages, including combinations of English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and more. See what else we have to offer by searching for Ultralingua in the App Store.
Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook for app news, language learning tips, and more:
• Updated for iOS 13 and the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max
• Improved navigation of verb tenses
• We have stopped collecting usage analytics
• Data improvements
• Small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Rich selection of words, lots of biographical entries, related words and phrases grouped with the initial lookup. You can tap on a word in a definition to look up that word, then backup, view history, or keep tapping on words till the itch is scratched. After working with it some more, I may end up downgrading my evaluation of some other dictionary apps. Not as fast as WordBook, and definitely a lot more expensive, but it does provide quite a bit of extra value.
I would not suggest this dictionary unless you care to know conjugation.
I mean, who a heck cares about conjugations of English verbs?
In French, for instance, this feature is very helpful to many because there are many irregular conjugations; however, it is absolutely worthless in English. (They must've just copied and pasted the interface from French dictionary they also offer. That's why the button reads -ir.)
I expect them to remove this feature and add example sentences or auto- correction as you type, just to make this app worth the 25 bucks.
Their customer service doesn't reply questions, which is the worst of all.
Other than that, this app is okay. Very nice interface.
Fast, does have many example sentences, and definitions based on context - very useful and unique to Collins. Other dictionaries fall short here. Maybe an enhanced search feature in future updates? Very satisfied.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Ultralingua, Inc.
- 25.8 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2020
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.