Designed to delight, Allrecipes’ Dinner Spinner is the most popular food-focused social app with a community of more than 30 million home cooks who play a part in helping cooks discover and share the joy of home cooking.
• My Feed: Personalized for you and gets smarter with every recipe you save and make; and each Taste you follow.
• Improved search options: Search by keyword, ingredients to include/exclude as well as by dietary need & ready in time.
• Swipe: Swipe right on recipes, to quickly view more recipes you will love.
• Favorites and Collections: Save your favorite recipes for quick access anywhere and create, organize and share recipe collections to make finding favorite recipes a snap.
• Cook with what’s on sale: See which recipe ingredients are on sale near you! We’ll also suggest a recipe when you walk into a store (select stores).
• Step-by-step cooking videos: More than 1000 mobile-friendly recipe videos with step-by-step cooking instructions and you can skip to the parts you want to see quickly (Tablet).
• Sharing: I Made It feature makes it super easy to brag about your cooking triumphs with friends – on Allrecipes, and in your Facebook feed.
• Cook profiles: Everything you’ve created, saved and made… in one convenient place.
• Shopping list: Just tap to add entire recipes or ingredients to your shopping list.
• Updated, streamlined design that’s the same across your phone, tablet and PC.
Something is always cooking at Allrecipes! Thanks for being a part of our community. This release includes minor updates and bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
My go-to recipe site, however...
I'll start by saying that I love Allrecipes. It has tons of recipes, they're easy to read, it's easy to change the yield, and it has lots of ways to find what you're looking for.
This app has one major flaw and that's its ingredient search function. This works normally on the website (type in ingredients separated by commas) but the app has a complicated interface. It uses several different input methods and requires the user to use gestures in several different directions to do similar and repetitive tasks, all for a search function that seems custom-built to be like this. It isn't clever or nice to use. It doesn't make anything easier than a more mainstream user experience design would. I can't think of another UI anywhere that works the way that it does either, so why do this?
Used to be so much better
I’ve never been compelled to rate an app before now. I’ve used the Allrecipes website, iPhone and iPad apps for years. Of the three, the iPhone app is the most disappointing, especially after the last couple of updates. My feed has literally not changed in months, offering no new recipe suggestions, not even rearranging them so I may see something I may not ordinarily from further down the page. I uninstalled/reinstalled and at first was excited to see new recipes pop up, but then as soon as I signed in, I was greeted by the exact same recipes I’ve been looking at for the last 6-8 months. I get that it bases them on preferred diets/cuisines, but seriously...I’m bored. On top of that, the dinner spinner is merely amusement, as it comes up with the most ridiculous combinations (a shellfish dessert in the slow cooker, anyone?). I only keep this app on my phone to have access to my saved recipes at work or when grocery shopping. But normally at home, I opt for my iPad version.
Recipes are just okay, searches and favorites don’t always work
The recipes are mostly geared towards convenience cooking and are generated by amateur “chefs”. There’s nothing at all wrong with home cooks, I’m one, but I do not cook from packets, cans, or readymade items. I try very hard to cook nutritious and delicious food for my family, and that means avoiding preservatives, additives, and artificial ingredients as much as possible. I’d say that my reasonable requirements exclude 80% of the recipes on the site, and there’s no way to easily search for foods made from scratch. Really, do we need a ton of recipes to make cakes from box mixes and canned fruit in syrup with fake whipped cream? Because they are all there.
Functionally, the search features don’t work very well. Recipes on Instagram or Pinterest that should be linked to the app cannot be found, and there are major glitches if you try to save recipes and then search within your saved favorites. It never works properly. There are better recipe apps out there.
- All Recipes
- 56.6 MB
- Food & Drink
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2015 Allrecipes.com
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.