Better World Shopper allows ethical consumers to make informed choices about brands and companies by providing an A to F rating based on the company's record in the areas of: human rights, environmental sustainability, community involvement, animal protection, and social justice. All data utilized in this ranking system is provided by independent, third party sources that can be verified by consumers themselves. Based on the same system as the bestselling Better World Shopping Guide, including over 25 years worth of data, this app empowers consumers to vote with their dollars.
- Complete overhaul of the app
- 2016 searchable rankings data
- Best to worst list of 2000+ companies
- Breakdown of 5 major issue areas
- Includes detailed answers to common questions (FAQ)
- Direct inks to 52 major sources of data
- Quick link to betterworldshopper.org website
- Description and sample of Better World Shopping Guide
- Description and sample of Better World Handbook
- Details of author's biography and work
- Audio clips from a variety of radio interviews
- List of past and future presentation events on this research
- Direct link to author's Twitter feed
- Contact information for author
- Quick link to submit suggested improvements and companies/brands to add to app
- Ability to purchase books directly from app
Ratings and Reviews
Hey guide that I find extremely useful
The reviews seem to match with what I know about the companies. I'd say this is an incredibly useful and convenient guide to have available in your pocket to help with purchasing decisions. And, as with most guides, I'd say its possible that it is not entirely accurate. It lists its sources and its process, so personal research into it is up to the user. I can definitely echo the desire for the return of the search-by-category like in the previous version (5 stars once that has been added). Overall I find this to be an excellent idea and great app to help make more earth friendly choices.
I have an older copy of the print Better World Shopping Guide, but I don't carry it with me, so it doesn't do much good except for those few things I memorize. And even then, I am frustrated by the lack of information as to WHY things are rated as they are. I hoped this app would give at least as much info as the book, and perhaps more... that WHY that would allow me to tell businesses why I am or am not spending with them. But unfortunately, the app offers even less than the book. Plus, as the other reviews mention, you can't look things up by category... so if I want to find the best gas station, bank or grocery store, I must look up each one individually. And it is worse once you get to a store… You have to look up each brand individually. I very much hope someone dedicated and capable is working on this app to make it more useful. It is needed! Unfortunately, as it is now, the app is frustrating more often than helpful.
This is an essential guide I use constantly, as there are no other guides like it. The recent update makes it even better than the book. You can now search by category or brand, and it is updated to 2017.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.