Start, locate and control your car from virtually anywhere with your iPhone, or Apple Watch!
“Making the cloud-connected car a reality”
"The coolest thing at the Consumer Electronics Show"
"Without a doubt, one of the coolest apps I've ever seen"
The Viper brand created the connected car category for the automotive aftermarket with the launch of Viper SmartStart in 2009. With the release of the 5.0 app and launch of Viper SmartStart Pro devices, connecting with and controlling your vehicle is faster and easier than ever.
- Add a Viper SmartStart module to the Viper system in your car so you can start, lock and unlock your car from virtually anywhere. Receive alerts if your car alarm goes off.
- Add a Viper SmartStart GPS module instead, and you can also locate your car and get notifications if your car is speeding or goes where it's not supposed to go.
- Viper SmartStart Digital Systems provide the ultimate connected car experience, including engine status with runtime display, and other feedback directly from the vehicle databus.
- Want to protect an offroad vehicle, watercraft or other specialty vehicle? Now Viper Powersports GPS ultra-low current systems can be added to your SmartStart app. Disable the starter, locate your vehicle, or get alerts if someone moves one of your powersports vehicles.
Are you tired of carrying around another clunky remote control on your keychain, or finding yourself out of range when you really need to warm up or cool down your car before getting in? Now you can securely remote start, lock/unlock, or find your car just by pushing a button on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
Viper SmartStart 4.0 gives you fingertip control over the following features of your Viper remote start or security/remote start system:
- Remote car starter
- Trunk release
- Aux channels
Viper SmartStart GPS lets you locate your vehicle or get notified via alerts if your kids go somewhere they aren’t supposed to, or drive unsafely.
How do you get Viper SmartStart? Just follow these three simple steps:
1) Download the free Viper SmartStart app
2) Get SmartStart installed in your car (see viper.com/smartstart for more information and where to buy Viper SmartStart).
3) Set up your SmartStart account, and start using your SmartStart system.
That’s all there is to it!
Viper SmartStart also includes membership in the Viper Motor Club, providing convenient flat rate 24/7 access to our nationwide roadside assistance network. Just press a button in the app to get connected for towing due to breakdown or accidents, or assistance with a dead battery or flat tire.
- Convenient widget provides quick access to sending commands
- Two new dashboards added that allow you to pick the layout and features most important to you
- Enhanced remote start feedback: the app confirms the command and then follows it up a few moments later to let you know if the engine is running, or stopped (digital systems only). The details are provided right on the dashboard too, no need to check your status page all the time.
- Enhanced command feedback: Now when you send a command to your SmartStart system, the app provides the details for the command right on the dashboard and keeps them there in case you forget and want to check back later to confirm what happened. Doors locked at 8:30AM? Check! (all systems)
- Is my car secure when I remote start it? Yep, we've been doing this a long time. The car is started, but only you can drive it away.
- Can I control all of my cars with the same app? You bet, just install Viper SmartStart systems in your other vehicles and they will show up in the app automatically.
- What is Viper Motor Club? It's our roadside assistance program that is included with every SmartStart Secure service plan (requires user to sign up via mysmartstart web site).
Enhanced support for iOS 13
Added support for new SmartStart service plans
Ratings and Reviews
I like the app and the system
So I guess I’ll just review the app since my review for the actual viper system belongs else where. However I love the app, well built, well designed. You swipe up to start your car, you can lock it, sound alarm, open trunk, all that stuff. One of my particular favorite features is the ability to set a passcode to get into the app. So no one can start your vehicle (considering they don’t have your key fob for your remote start) with out a password. Nor can they unlock or anything. Which is a big thing for me because there’s things in my car that I wouldn’t want stolen (assuming you do as well) and it’s nice to know that I’m the only one that can access the app and do that myself. And if you do not have the GPS add on for your system and your only using the free 150ft start. I have to tell you it works from well over 150ft. At least for me it does, so that’s nice too. Overall I’m pleased with the app, there are some bugs and glitches that could be addressed but that doesn’t effect my overall rating and convenience of the app itself.
Good app, Apple Watch app needs improvement
The iPhone app has quite a few features, but I feel like some basic UI stuff is missing from the Apple Watch app. First, one thing I REALLY WANT is on the main dashboard of the iPhone app I wish it would tell me if the car is locked or unlocked without having to lock or unlock it first or go to the my car status information.
For the Apple Watch, this app seriously needs a complication. The app also should tell us if it’s locked, unlocked, engine running and for how many more minutes. It would be awesome if the complication could give a countdown on the 15 minute runtime.
I loved the viper for its phone and watch integration, but I find myself using my key fob most often because the iPhone is annoying to get out when I’m rushing around in the mornings and I never know what I’m going to get with the watch app. Did the car actually start? Is it locked or not? How much time do I have left? With the Apple Watch only gaining more popularity, app developers need to continue focusing on developing their Apple Watch apps as well. Please update yours with a few more features and it would be a solid 5!
Keeps good track of vehicle
After going through the learning curve I’d have to say this app does a good job in keeping track of my vehicle. Mind you, it’s dependent on the accuracy of the GPS system that allows a wide birth to actual physical location. For example, I could never get the app to show my vehicles pin point location. I was forced to use my neighbors address as my vehicles home on the app. Also, the heading is skewed—never points In vehicles actual direction. I could be how the sensor/s was/were installed. Not really a big fan of the apps inability to communicate with my vehicle at times. Lastly the python system I use will drain the vehicles battery within two days if not continually trickle charged rendering the app useless.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.