Metabolic Balancer – is designed to assist in the dietary management of Phenylketonuria (PKU), an inborn error of protein metabolism. This iPhone app guides you through your meals, snacks, and formula intake by offering phenylalanine (phe), dietary protein, formula protein equivalent (P.E.), and calorie information for over 7500 food items, specially manufactured low protein food products, metabolic formula products, Ajinomoto Cambrooke recipes and meals, along with your Kuvan® intake, blood levels and wellness - all at the touch of your fingertips.
Use Metabolic Balancer to:
1) Improve Dietary Compliance- learn about the phe content of your food in order to make better choices. Metabolic Balancer provides a quick reference to more than 7500 food items. Know what each portion or recipe actually contains. Know when you need to adjust your dietary phe intake. Save your favorite foods to Favorites or add new items, recipes and meals.
2) Prepare Diet Log and export it via email in preparation for Clinic Visit. You can now easily record your dietary protein, supplemental protein, and Kuvan® intake along with your blood levels and wellness using this handy iPhone app. Many U.S. metabolic clinics recommend 3-5 days of dietary records before the clinic visit.
3) Plot data overtime.
Metabolic Balancer app can help you better understand how dietary compliance correlates to your overall feeling “wellness”.
Metabolic Balancer features:
• Over 7500 USDA and manufacturers' product data. Includes data on many specialty low protein food items and formula.
• Log data for multiple users.
• Easy search.
• Save your frequently used food items or recipes to Favorites.
• Add new food items, recipes or meals.
• Share custom items, recipes and meals with friends.
• Track of your Kuvan® intake, blood levels and daily wellness.
• Monitor your daily goals with the graphing feature.
• Review, edit, and export to email (by date range) daily log entries by user.
• Enter quantities in three convenient units: gram, ounce, or serving size.
• All data is contained within the app. No Wi-Fi connection is needed except when downloading updates or exporting logs via email.
• Free frequent updates adding more nutrients, recipes, and formula products.
• Help us make your diet easier by emailing your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
All the data contained herein is part of the public domain as published by the USDA, manufacturer’s data sources, and the company’s database. No warranty regarding the nutritional accuracy is provided. The presentation of this content, the application software, and its trademarks are the copyright of Ajinomoto Cambrooke, Inc.
Metabolic Balancer app is not intended to replace the advice of a nutritionist or health-care professional. Ajinomoto Cambrooke recommends regular visits to your metabolic physician or dietitian.
1) Allowing Ajinomoto Cambrooke to send users messages through the App on various promotions, new product launches, recipe ideas, obtain product feedback and much more.
2) Supporting 64-bit devices delivering faster, richer experiences and more memory storage.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great program! Just needs more tweeking.
I received an Ipod Touch for mothers day specfically for this app. We have 2 children w/ pku. I like the fact that I can add my favorite items because the USDA #'s are not equal to the "Food List" that we all have from Virginia Schuett. So, I add my own and put them under the catagory Favorite w/ her #'s. Once you get use to the menu system of the program it is nice to be able to enter the data right there, such as at a table in a restraunt. My 10yr old son is going to start being more responsible for tracking his phe intake and start making better food choices. My biggest wish is to have the ability to track more than one child. I need that desparately. For years I have been using the program "PKULife". Great program!! Tracked 2 children. Downside, it was PC based. This app on an Iphone can go anywhere. Summer camp, vacations, etc. Just need the ability to track more than one child.
Good App, Still Buggy
I am 32 years old and have pku and I am also on Kuvan. This app makes my life easier because now I have a quick way to record what I eat and track my protein intake. And is also makes it very easy to export my diet records to email and send to my nutritionist. However, with the new 2.0 version, it has added some much needed features, for example, being able to go back to the previous day and edit a diet record. There still are a few more bugs though. The most annoying are:
1. When browsing the database for a food and then needing to add it to the current category: The category and sub category fields used to be automatically filled in, that is no longer the case. Which is frustrating because sometimes I have to back out to remember where I was.
2. When accessing the "Favorites" list, takes an extremely long time for the list to pull up. This wasn't the case with the previous version.
3. Also, once logging something from the favorites list and then going back is delayed.
4. App crashes unexpectedly. Not sure what causes the crash, because I am doing different things within the app when it happens.
All in all, this is still the most convenient way for me to log my foods. Just needs little more work.
Dissapointed in new update
Edit Aug 27: I am frustrated that when I go to change the time when I am first entering a food sometimes it gives me the option to save the new time and other times it doesn't. I than have to go back into the log and change the time. Have only used the new update a couple of times, but I am dissapointed that the favorite button has been moved to be under more instead of in the middle. This is the function I use to find the food Im inputting. This might just be me, but its disappointing to have to go through the extra step. I have no need for the new middle meal option as I don't search by meal, protein phe, etc...
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.