One of the SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive's highest-rated games, Gunstar Heroes is now available on mobile! Play free and rediscover Treasure’s classic gem!
A forgotten lunar super weapon, a totalitarian empire bent on world domination, and an insane General who’ll stop at nothing to bring the planet to its knees – only the Gunstar Heroes can stop him. Play as twin brothers Red and Blue, and embark upon one of the most treasured SEGA gems of all time. Arm yourselves with flame-throwers, homing missiles, and lasers to take the fight to the enemy’s HQ – the dreaded orbital fortress, the Ark!
Gunstar Heroes joins the ever-increasing line-up of ‘SEGA Forever’, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought back to life on mobile!
- Mix and match four different weapon types for a total of 14 firearm combinations
- Local, cross-platform multiplayer over local Wi-Fi
- Grab and throw your partner at enemies for vital hits that don’t take up ammo!
- Seven levels to explore, from an ancient ruin to a vast orbital fortress
MOBILE GAME FEATURES
- PLAY FREE with ad-support or ad-free via In-App Purchase
- SAVE YOUR GAMES – save your progress at any point in the game
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- HAPTIC SUPPORT: get into the game with responsive button presses
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
"Treasure is a treasure indeed and deserves a big round of applause for this phenomenal effort." [99%] - Skid, Diehard GameFan Vol. 1 Issue #10 (September 1993)
"Gunstar Heroes is a title no self-respecting Mega Drive owner can afford to be without." [94%] - SEGA Magazine #1 (January 1994)
"Prepare yourself for a real white-knuckle ride with Gunstar Heroes because it's that amazing!" [93%] - Paul Davies, Mean Machines SEGA #12 (October 1993)
"It's fast, it's fierce, and it's totally brilliant." [92%] - Steve Keen, Computer & Video Games #142 (September 1993)
GUNSTAR HEROES TRIVIA
- The game went under the working titles of Blade Gunner and Lunatic Gunstar
- This was Treasure's first game of six to hit the Mega Drive / Genesis over a two-year period
- M2, creators of the Game Gear port of Gunstar Heroes, went on to remaster the Mega Drive / Genesis original on 3DS over 20 years after the original release
GUNSTAR HEROES HISTORY
- The game was originally released worldwide in 1993
- Developed by: Treasure
- Main Programmer: Mitsuru Yaida
- Lead Composer: Norio Hanzawa
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
Other than for users known to be under 13, this game may include "Interest Based Ads" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#3IBADiscolure for more information) and may collect "Precise Location Data" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#5LocationDataDisclosure for more information)
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Gunstar Heroes, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
Bug fixes and refinements
Ratings and Reviews
Game runs great on my iPhone. I love all these classics! My only suggestion would be for Shining Force to come back to the App Store. It used to be on here so it shouldn't be too difficult to release right? :) thanks! PS I won't ask for the second game since it's lengthy and may be hard to port
Poor MFi Controller Support
I am using a SteelSeries Nimbus on an iPad Pro 2018 running iOS 12.2 and the controller support is poorly thought out. The B button is used to fire the weapon, but it also activates the “rewind” feature when you hold the “B” button down for more than 3 seconds. The fact that the “rewind” feature is actually set to “R2” in the control settings makes no difference and the “R2” button actually does nothing. As is, this game is unplayable on a controller. Also, you are unable to select the “Menu” button located in the middle of the controller for “pause” and are forced to use one of the other buttons on the controller. “Pause” is set to the “Y” button by default. I’ve noticed the same button issue in other games by Sega. The MFi controller support needs to be overhauled. If Sega can fix these issues this would make playing these games much more enjoyable and I’d likely purchase all of them since they bring back memories. But with the poor MFi controller support I can’t bring myself to actually buy these games for now.
It’s the 1993 Genesis game, Gunstar Heroes just the way you remember it. Personally, this is one of my favorite Genesis games. The different character and weapon combinations make it so that no player will experience the game in the same way as another player. The game itself is a side scrolling run and gun. The stages are very fun to play through in all their 16-Bit glory and most have several bosses. The gameplay is smooth, the game is emulated very well and includes save slots and a rewind feature. The touchscreen controls worked fine for me, however If you prefer actual buttons, controllers are supported. I recommend this game, even to new players who weren’t born in the Genesis era. After all, it’s free and you’ve got nothing to lose.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sega America
- 122 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Game Controller
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and GUNSTAR HEROES are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $1.99
Play this game with your favorite compatible controller.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.