iSatFat is one of 10 iNutrient apps based on the USDA National Nutrient Database. The others include:
- iCarbs (Carbohydrates)
- iCholesterol (Dietary Cholesterol)
- iFiber (Fiber)
- iKals (Calories)
- iPotassium (Potassium)
- iProteins (Proteins)
- iSodium (Sodium)
- iSugars (Sugars)
- Vitamin K (Vitamins K1, K1D & K2)
Users can record their intake for any food. The information is maintained for one year and is presented in reverse chronological order grouped by day, so the latest data is presented first in the list. Editing allows for: 1) changing the number of servings; 2) changing the date; and 3) deleting records. Individual Intake Items can be copied to the current day, and all Intake Items for a single day can be copied to the current day.
For those working towards healthy eating, knowing the amount of saturated fat in the foods available for consumption can be extremely helpful.
The iSatFat app provides information about foods and how they are rated for content of saturated fat. This is provided as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. The food servings are rated from EXTREMELY LOW in fiber all the way up to EXTREMELY HIGH. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
- Black = Rated EXTREMELY HIGH in Saturated Fat (10.001 - 33.000 g)
- Dark Red = Rated VERY HIGH in Saturated Fat (5.001 - 10.000 g)
- Red = Rated HIGH in Saturated Fat (3.001 - 5.000 g)
- Orange = Rated MODERATELY HIGH in Saturated Fat (1.001 - 3.000 g)
- Yellow = Rated MODERATE in Saturated Fat (0.501 - 1.000 g)
- Light Green = Rated MODERATELY LOW in Saturated Fat (0.101 - 0.500 g)
- Green = Rated LOW in Saturated Fat (0.011 - 0.100 g)
- Cyan = Rated VERY LOW in Saturated Fat (0.001 - 0.010 g)
- White = Rated EXTREMELY LOW in Saturated Fat (0.000 g)
Essentially, the cooler the color, the lower the amount of Saturated Fat, with white being the coolest color and black being the hottest (think burnt).
There are eight tables listing food servings:
- All Foods
- Fast Foods
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Meat, Fish & Shellfish
- Dairy & Egg
- Cereal Grains & Pasta
The All Foods list allows you to search by any word or partial word from all the Food Titles.
Selecting a food in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
- Food Title
- Weight (in grams)
- Common Measure (serving size for weight)
- Saturated Fat Content (in grams)
- Percentage of Saturated Fat by Weight (if at least 1%)
- USDA Description
- USDA Food Group
- USDA Nutrient Database Number
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Fatty acids, total saturated Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different foods included, searchable using more than 2,500 names (some foods are known by different names or how they are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Scrambled" and "Scrambled Egg"). A few these have as many as six searchable names.
The iSatFat Info screen provides access to additional information pages:
- What is Saturated Fat?
- Why Avoid Saturated Fat?
- Highest Saturated Fat Foods
- How to Use this App
- Nutrients Custom Food Definition (another app with more features and data for 10 nutrients)
- Other Important Info (includes allowance to 1) Report a Problem; 2) Ask a Questions; and 3) Make a Suggestion)
A powerful new Search Facility has been added to the All Foods view. You can now search providing two search words/phrases. The first is required, but the second is optional. If a second word/phrase is provided, then you have the option of three possible ways to use the two words/phrases: 1) AND; 2) OR; and 3) BUT NOT. Search words/phrases are case insensitive. White space at the beginning and end of Search words/phrases will be removed. The "AND / OR / BUT NOT" operand selection is not taken into account unless there is a second Search word/phrase. As you are entering the Search criteria, the number of items found is displayed.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great New Feature
Now I can keep track of my saturated fat intake. That will be great when I need to report to my doctor.
Doesn't even open
I was hoping this would be a great help in my diet, but the application won't even open. You'd think they'd test it before releasing it. Wasted money.
- James Hollender
- 28.2 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2010 - 2019 James Hollender
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.