Lightning is a minimalist web browser designed with one thing in mind - speed of search. An order of magnitude smaller than other browsers, Lightning loads in less than a second and is ready to use straight away. Enable the "Lightning Lookup" service and search on selected text from any application in an instant by typing command-@.
Based on Webkit (the already fast core of the Safari and Chrome browsers), instead of unloading browsed pages as you navigate, Lightning keeps a buffer of many WebBrowser objects in memory. This allows you to return back to a previously viewed page instantaneously without having to wait for it to reload. This optimisation makes a huge difference to speed of navigation.
URL's (starting with http://) or search items can be selected or entered into the address bar. For search terms, select the site you wish use as a search engine on the popup list at the left hand side.
Other features include:
* History and Bookmarks are HTML pages containing an (optional) snapshot of the page when it was last viewed.
* The Bookmarks page is WSYWIG editable to "arrange" them and can be used as your home page. Use the “Manage/Save Bookmarks" menu item to make your changes permanent.
* Preloads next page off-screen when you hover over a link.
* Page by Page control over Flash content and cookies.
* All the usual trackpad gestures including zoom supported.
* To close a tab or remove a bookmark tap it's icon.
* Full Spelling/Grammar checking available via edit menu.
* As a final boost to initial page load try Google DNS on 184.108.40.206 or 220.127.116.11.
Lightning may not be the most refined browser on the internet but from the look of the reviews it may just be the fastest! Give it a try.
Minor adjustment of background colour for Mojave, Improved interface to blocking functionality, Same Lightning Speed.
Ratings and Reviews
OK, so far, but
Love the speed and the assorted improvements to my normal, sluggish, Safari, which always amazes me with its ability to get worse with every version: Read: slower and more sluggish and congested.
In comparison, TurboWeb is fantastically fast, but has the unfortunate feature of not recognizing hyperlinks. They are still blue, that is, but can't be clicked on as links. Must go through the dreary, slow, copy-paste.
How this happens: as soon as I change the screen font size with command-+, the links cease to function.
I have emailed the developer.
Looking to see functionality restored.
Fantastic browser for computers whos graphic cards are not supported cough coughhh hehehe now my screen won’t flikker when i browse the net. Could use an update.
….So it’s not free
But the few bucks it costs. Its worth it. If you’re reviewing the Lightning Web Browser, you know exactly what i mean.
- John Holdsworth
- 2.1 MB
OS X 10.6 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- Rated 17+ for the following:
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Gambling and Contests
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2011-2018 John Holdsworth
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.