While waxing nostalgic about my old digital watch, I remembered how much I loved having the passage of time marked by an hourly chime. But then I thought, why should all the chimes be the same? For your pleasure, a simple app that provides unique chimes on the hour, half hour, or quarter hour.
You can choose:
• How often to chime
• Start and stop times
As well as select from a number of distinct tones:
• Speech - a human voice announcing the time.
• Simple beep - for the minimalist.
• Musical chords - for those with perfect pitch.
• Roman numotones - equivalent to roman numerals in audio form. High pitched tones for I, deeper for V, deeper still for X
Minor enhancements, support for iPhone 6.
Ratings and Reviews
Great when needed!
I keep my phone on silent always, which disables use of this app - but I love that! That way the app is always on in the background and ready to keep me informed when I turn my volume on to track time (meaning I don’t have to open the app every time I need to turn it on). There are only 3 suggestions:
1. Allow an adjustable time selection like every 1, 5, or 7 minutes etc. if someone needs specific timeframe reminders (seriously, sometimes 15 minutes is too long in between reminders, depending on the project at hand)
2. Add a vibration option (not a pop-up notification) just to keep someone reminded that time is passing
3. Create an Apple Watch version with tap reminders (including adjustable timeframe other than every 15 minutes)
Great app... Sometimes Too Loud
I really like this app, but unfortunately it is set to maximum volume at ALL times, even if the device volume is set to the minimum. Can you PLEASE make it adjust volume with the device? OR just add a volume slider inside the app so that it remains constant at the user-set volume regardless of device volume.
It would also be really great if it could be set to vibrate (a single, short-tone vibration) when the phone is on vibrate mode. that way we get a chime notification that does not interrupt no-sound situations. And of course, have the option to turn vibrate-chime off independently of device volume.
Other than that, great app... perhaps a voice like Cortana, or Hal 9000, or computerized AI, etc. thanks!
Gradual performance degradation
At first I loved this app. The functionality and simplicity were exactly what I was looking for. And for roughly the first four days it worked like a charm. Then it began gradually experiencing problems: initially it simply would not chime at the designated interval; then it began to chime repeatedly over and over, well past the initial alert period. I finally had to uninstall when it began to chime on the hour but repeatedly. And I don’t mean consecutive alerts, but rather the app began to layer multiple chimes one on top of the other to the point that the alert tone was nothing more than a cacophony of noise. Towards the end I estimate that it would play the alert tone layered over itself with a minimum of 6 to 10 distinct instances of the tone (this happened regardless of the alert form: chime, voice, etc). Very unfortunate. I am unsure how to replicate the issue. Should the developer correct the bug(s) I will most certainly reinstall.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.