The Encyclopedia of Arda is an indispensible reference guide to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, based on the popular Website of the same name. The Encyclopedia contains around 4,000 individual entries, many with additional features such as maps, family trees and images.
Also included in the Encyclopedia are a selection of articles and reference guides, including a detailed lexicon and a guide to old and rare words used in Tolkien's works. The interactive Chronicle and Calendar let you explore the history of Middle-earth from its earliest times, and the Encyclopedia even contains detailed guides to the recent film versions of The Lord of the Rings.
- Search the Encyclopedia, choose from an A-Z index, or browse articles by topic. Each entry is rich in hypertext links, letting you freely explore the world of Middle-earth and beyond.
- Many entries provide their own factbox and timeline, along with maps, genealogical charts, and images.
- The interactive Chronicle of Arda lets you explore any period from Middle-earth's history. The Interactive Calendar lets you choose dates in any of seven different calendars and see which events took place on those dates.
- Language guides include a dictionary of old and rare words used by Tolkien, and also a lexicon explaining the origins of many names of characters and places in Elvish and other languages.
- The 'Excyclopedia' feature is an additional guide to less canonical topics, exploring concepts from Tolkien's earlier work, and related topics from other sources.
- This is a standalone app that works completely independently of the Encyclopedia of Arda Website; no Internet connection is required.
ABOUT THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ARDA:
The Encyclopedia of Arda has been a popular source of Tolkien lore on the Web since 1997. Visit the Encyclopedia of Arda site at http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/
The app includes reference information on more than 4,000 topics, including maps, charts and genealogies. Also included are detailed analyses of all three Lord of the Rings films, and also The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Movie guides for The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again will be released soon!
The Encyclopedia app was developed by Virtix Ltd: visit our Website at http://www.virtix.co.uk/
The Encyclopedia of Arda is not an official reference work.
If you'd like to help us develop and improve the Encyclopedia of Arda app, why not take a few minutes to leave us your comments on iTunes?
iPhone or iPod Touch and above
Addresses an issue that prevented some users from viewing downloaded maps or images under the latest version of iOS.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The perfect companion
As someone that really wants to learn and know Tolkien’s Legendarium, this app is perfect
I was a little put off that I had to pay for the app and also pay for updates. I’m glad I did, though. I appreciate the, pretty much, daily updates.
My only recommendation. Offer an interactive map. I like the simplicity of the map areas that are shown when you search an area. A full (zoomable) map of Middle-Earth in the same format would be awesome.
Everything I needed and more
This has everything I knew and more in incredible detail with dates, references, illustrations, and maps. The "random" key is a blast to help take you off the beaten path and discover something new.
Thoughts should definitely be taking place to make a similar app for "Game of Thrones", as only the creators of this app would be able to do it justice
Excellent quick reference!
I’ve been “studying” LOTR for many years using numerous references materials. This app has been a welcome addition! I like that the developers have been very thorough in explaining there sources and are open to discussions about their work. I have just begun using it and already I appreciate the dedicated work done here. I raise a tankard of ale from “ The Green Dragon” to them all!
- Virtix Ltd
- 99 MB
Requires iOS 12.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright Virtix Limited 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Annual Update Subscription $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.