The digital edition of the The Economist weekly magazine with audio,
Users on iOS 10.3 or above can explore an expanded version of this app, incorporating daily and weekly updates, along with a morning briefing by searching for ‘The Economist’.
Readers can access their essential global briefing on current affairs, business, finance, economics, science, technology and the arts from The Economist each week.
Download the free app to:
• Enjoy three free articles a week, including the cover leader
• Enjoy the content of the weekly newspaper in an easy-to-use format
• Save articles to read offline later
• Get alerts when the new issue is available along with notifications on cover stories, breaking news and analysis.
• Subscribe within the app and get full access to Economist.com and The Economist apps
• Share articles via e-mail, Twitter and Facebook
• The app presents a great digital native reading experience for readers allowing for font size changes, Night Mode and other convenient user friendly qualities.
In today’s changing world, the one thing that’s certain is uncertainty. Make sense of it all with The Economist.
• Subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes.
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage auto-renew of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again.
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
ALSO AVAILABLE ON IPAD
Simply search for The Economist in the App Store to download the app for free.
Please note that this app requires iOS 8.0 and above. We recommend you update to the latest version of iOS to receive the best possible experience.
- Minor bug fixes & performance enhancements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Poor Audio Support
When you start the audio up after a break, the app often starts halfway through a story you’ve already heard. It’s very frustrating. The “track list” vs “playlist” feature is unnecessary and confusing. Sometimes the next story just won’t start. This app is often unresponsive to controls in my car. No other apps have this problem. In one case I hit pause, and when I hit play the audio from an ad started playing along with the story.
Finally, the lack of a scroll bar in dark mode is a long overlooked feature.
When you’re paying this much for a subscription to this newspaper, you expect the apps to work!
Please fix customisation of audio playlist
I used to love listening to The Economist audio edition until a particular feature was removed. I used to be able to organise my audio playlist in a specific order; the world this week, then the business section, then finance, and afterwards a few select articles chosen among the remaining sections. I was able to go through the edition and organise everything once, then start and stop listening with the confidence that the playlist remained in the order I prioritised.
Now whenever I add to the audio playlist it's always ordered in the way The Economist is (The World This Week, Leaders, Letters, etc) and I can arrange the playlist to my priority, which I used to do for the past few years....now I don't even want to bother with The Economist at all since I now have to either keep track of what I listened to manually and/or keep adding/removing to the playlist in order to listen while I'm doing other tasks. Very unfortunate. It would be VERY much appreciated if the feature to customise the order of the audio playlist is made available once again. Thank you.
Decline of audio playback does a horrible disservice to a great publication
The audio features have become less reliable and bugs more frequent over time. Since several versions ago, the tracklist/ playlist configuration options became non-functional (it would play the next article in the order no matter what tracks were selected or even downloaded). Then the audio was no longer developed to be handled by iOS as such, so Bluetooth controls stopped working. With the latest release, it will not even play more than one article at a time. It requires opening the app and manually playing the next one, which makes it useless when running or driving.
I consume the Economist almost solely via audio edition when I commute or work out, and this decline is making it impossible to rely on it as my go-to news source, which is extremely disappointing because the journalism is great.
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 23.6 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2019
- In-App Purchases
- The Economist $5.99
- The Economist $5.99
- The Economist $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.