This is the legacy edition of The Economist app.
About in-app subscriptions:
• You can subscribe annually, quarterly or buy a single issue. You’ll be charged in your local currency at the current rate according to iTunes
• Your payment will be charged to your iTunes account after you purchase a subscription
Annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew. You can manage this in your iTunes account settings at any time, but you’ll need to update your subscription at least 24 hours before your renewal date if you don’t want to be charged again
• Within 24 hours of your renewal date, your subscription will be charged at a cost of £55.99 / $55.99 / €85.99 (for a quarterly subscription) or £179.99 / $189.99 / €279.99 (for an annual subscription)
• This app may offer a free trial—after it’s over, you’ll be charged the full price of your subscription. You’ll need to cancel 24 hours before your subscription ends to avoid being charged
We’ve updated the audio player to help you quickly add and play the articles you’re interested in.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Audio “upgrade” is awful
The changes to audio are a step backward. The new system takes a lot more work to select and download stories. Even if you mark a story for the audio queue it doesn’t necessarily download, even if “available online” is turned on. And deleting the issue from the main page used to automatically delete the associated audio articles; now you have to go back and delete them manually.
Can we PLEASE go back to the earlier version?
Can’t download all of the articles like before. I had the old app which I really enjoyed and it updated to this awful “legacy app”. All the problems:
1. Can’t DL all articles of an issue and listen sequentially.
2. Must hit “play” button for EVERY article to start (not friendly to people who listen while driving)
3. The playback speed button is missing or impossible to find. When I click on the headsets logo I should see the play/pause, playback speed, skip, and download articles button. That would make sense. Now all I can do is queue articles or play from beginning.
4. The pause an article I need to lock my screen and pause play from the Apple lock screen. Can’t do it in app.
5 impossible to navigate articles or click to go to next article.
6. The option to play an entire section at once is useless and an antiquated notion of how people listen to audio news and podcasts.
7. The queue articles feature might be good in theory, but redundant if I was just able to download all the articles in the first place (like I could before). And when I go to queue it is clunky and recommends articles I’ve already listened to?!?! Why would I want to listen again?
8.This app will be the reason I cancel my subscription if not fixed. It is completely unusable.
GUI more stable but navigation now more complicated
So the GUI issues seem to have been resolved but now the navigations are much much worse and infuriating:
-If you listen to an article and go past it, but then want to back you have to go completely out of the audio, back to article and hit play now
-there’s no way to know if things are done downloading or not (that I can see)
-the audio and text are no longer synch’ed so it doesn’t progress nicely
-there is a nice fix where it doesn’t kick you out of the audio when you navigate between editions!
-better integration with native iPhone locked screen controls!
-better controls on the audio screen with skip forward and backward finally together along with both progress forward and backward (except the backward does not work...wait! Just figured out if you hit back repeatedly and quickly multiple times, there does t appear to be rhyme or reason to the number, it will go back...)
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 17.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2020
- In-App Purchases
- The Economist $39.99
- The Economist $129.99
- Quarterly subscription $55.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.