IMPORTANT NOTE: The Share menu of the Coordinates tab is unfortunately not working any more. It is not possible to fix this bug until a new major version is released. The timeplane for when this can be done is very unclear. We apologize for the inconvenience.
As a consequence, there is currently
NO WAY TO EXPORT DATA FROM THE APP,
except for owners of the separate Places & Photos, who can export places directly to that app with a separate button. (The UTM coordinates are unfortunately not included in that export, since Places & Photos cannot handle UTM.)
- Unique visual indication of UTM coordinates if you are using a paper map.
- Fast and easy conversion between UTM and decimal degrees (WGS84).
- Both Apple Maps and a simplified (static) Google Maps™ in iOS 6.
The full story:
Grid Tool is the ultimate tool for reading a topographic paper map based on UTM!
Use it as a magnifying glass together with your paper map. It will help you finding the right square on the map grid. Then, the GPS will point out your position directly on the map.
- Indicates the current 1 kilometer square on an online map(*), which will also assist you in finding your way on your paper map.
- Coordinate conversion between UTM and decimal degrees (WGS84).
- Either automatic or fixed UTM zone.
Grid Tool is the perfect companion to your paper map and compass when trekking or in other outdoor activities. Reading a map has never been so easy, convenient and fun!
The app supports UTM with the WGS84/NAD83/ETRS89 datum which is used in many countries around the world (including US).
The app also includes support for the two Swedish grids SWEREF 99 TM and RT90.
(*) The online map service in iOS 6 is the Apple Maps service, with a simplified static Google Maps view available as a complement. (In iOS 4 and 5, only Google Maps are available.)
- iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS with minimum iOS 4.3 required.
- You must have a paper map with a printed UTM WGS84 grid!
All software may suffer from bugs and all electronic devices may malfunction or run out of battery. Viatact AB does not take any responsibility for injuries or losses caused directly or indirectly by the use of this app. Never go trekking in remote areas without a paper map, a traditional compass and the knowledge of how to use them!
Google Maps and Google Earth are trademarks of Google Inc.
Optimizations and bug fixes, e.g:
- Faster auto-focus (iOS 7 required).
- Sharing coordinates with the Google Maps™ app is now working again.
- The map pin can now be moved manually again.
Connect the app with "Places & Photos":
- Download the new app "Places & Photos" and use it for saving coordinates directly from "Grid Tool" with a simple tap on a button.
- It is also easy to open a place in "Places & Photos" and show its coordinates in "Grid Tool".
- Download link:
Other news in v. 1.4:
- Much faster to switch between the camera view ("Paper Map" tab) and the other views.
- Maps with a grid spacing of 2.5 km, 25 km, etc., are now also supported.
- Some minor bugs fixed.
Google Maps is a trademark of Google Inc.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, iOS 11 version?
I love this app. Is there any chance we would be able to get in update that will be compatible with iOS 11?
Great SAR App!
Great for hunting and such. As long as you a signal. UTM usage is good. Took sometime to get used to it after using military grid system.
The developer, Viatact AB, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Viatact AB
- 2.9 MB
- Requires iOS 4.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 4.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2011 - 2013 Viatact AB
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.