Achieve educational milestones with our award-winning app designed for speech and language development. An invaluable app for visual learners that is adaptable to children’s individual needs and abilities.
Children, parents, teachers and professionals in 100+ countries and 27+ languages are using Special Words to turn screen time into an active and engaging learning experience.
Areas of Development
• Enhance communication, language and literacy skills
• Increase sight-word vocabulary
• Encourage listening and speaking skills
• Develop hand-eye coordination
• Improve fine motor skills
Personalize to Suit Abilities
• Use your own text and photos to harness interests and personalize activities
• Include your voice or audio to bring the learning experience to life
• Create word lists tailored to children’s learning needs
• Adjustable animation speed to suit abilities and concentration levels
• Activities adaptable to any developmental stage and for adults with learning difficulties and memory impairment
• Can be fully customized to grow with a child as they develop
Share Your Words
• Copy content to and from the app on another device
• Exchange stories using AirDrop, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, cloud or email
• Transfer content to and from our Special Stories, Special Spelling and Special Sentences apps
Accessible For All
• Support for switch users
• Variety of fonts, plus a large text option to support those with visual impairments and dyslexia
• Use at home, school, in speech or occupational therapy sessions, and for home schooling to follow the curriculum and enhance learning
• Proven to be accessible and hold the attention of children with a variety of abilities and skill sets
Reviews from Parents and Professionals
“Special Words is a clever and intuitive app. The developers have clearly drawn upon what works for young learners with special needs.”
Educational App Store, 5 Star Teacher Rating
“One of our pupils does not read or write so checking and questioning understanding is very difficult. He responded very quickly and positively to the app. Without it we would have no idea exactly what he is capable of achieving.”
Emma Watts, Teaching Assistant
“This is without a doubt the best app I have some across for children with special needs. My son signs for more as soon as he completes one set of words!”
Helen, Parent and Teacher
Speak Your Language
• Special Words includes 96 pictures, spoken words and written text in 27 languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, English (American, British and Australian), Finnish, Flemish, French, German, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Luxembourgish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian and Welsh
• All languages use audio provided from native speakers
• Replace words and re-record audio in any other language your child uses
Why Our Apps Are Different
• Visually clear and simple, with no distracting backgrounds or noises
• Tested and recommended by Down syndrome and ASD experts and organizations around the world
• No in-app purchases, pop-up ads or user tracking
• Developed in collaboration with parents, professionals and teachers of children with special educational needs
Part of the Special iApps Family
Special iApps is a multi-award-winning non-profit social enterprise with a worldwide reputation for creating educational apps for those with learning disabilities and additional needs, as well as in preschool education. They initially created apps to teach their youngest son William, who has Down syndrome and autism, now they support children internationally.
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Great teaching tool!
This is one of the best apps I have purchased to use with my lower functioning 13 y.o. son with autism on his new iPad. I like the ability to customize. The children in the photos are cute but it would be nice to have a mixture of different people/ages for the action words. I also would like to have a choice of reward noises instead of just the clapping. I was looking for this type of app for some time now and this one does not disappoint. I will recommend it to my son's therapists and other parents.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your kind words. You can replace any of the pictures with your own photos or other images you have. You can also turn off the clapping in the app's settings, to allow the parent, therapist or teacher to respond directly to the child.
Love but headphones
We love this app but can’t seem to get headphones to work? I thought they worked before?
Developer Response ,
We're glad you love Special Words, but really sorry you can't get headphones to work. We are aware of an issue that with some wireless headphones, the sound plays through them in the card-matching activities, but through the internal speaker in the Word Editor. The problem doesn't occur if you plug in wired headphones. If your problem seems different, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your headphones and the version of iOS your iPad or iPhone is running, and we can investigate further for you.
Just purchased for one of my students. It is VERY limited. Plus, I cannot find any “button” that will allow me to use my own photos and recorded voice! Where is this feature hidden?
Developer Response ,
Hello, so sorry to hear that you are frustrated with the app. Can you tell us a bit more why you think the app is limited. It may be you need the Pro version that includes downloadable resources, ability to print boards and words, plus assessment sheets. Please email us at email@example.com as we continue to update all our apps with requests from our users.
To answer your question about adding your own photos and voice: To add a word, just tap Word List in the bottom bar (tap More first if using an iPhone), then press the + button at the top. You can now type in a word (or short phrase) and take a photo (or select one from your existing photos). To add sound, press the Record Sound button, speak the word(s), and press again.
You can also change the text, picture or sound for any of the 96 supplied words: from the Word List, tap the "i" to the right of the one you want to change.
An alternative to adding to or modifying the existing list is to add more lists of your own. You can copy words between lists, reorder their content, and download more lists for free from our website.
There's lots more to Special Words, including a range of adjustable settings and the ability to exchange lists of words between devices (e.g. from home to school). For details, take a look at the user guide at https://www.specialiapps.org/guide/special-words, and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.
Bev, Special iApps.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Special iApps C.I.C.
- 64.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Luxembourgish, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Welsh
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 0–5
- © 2011-2021 Special iApps C.I.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.