VISUALLY STUNNING, ENGROSSING STORYTELLING GAME ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE! UPDATED WITH NEW CONTENT!
*Nominated for Mobile game of the Year by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences.
* IGN: "worth playing just to experience the game’s huge amount of eccentric dialogue, and to experience the unfolding mystery.... one of the best to hit the App Store in recent memory."
* KOTAKU: "at home in the halls of BioShock's Rapture...disturbingly gorgeous experience."
* DESTRUCTOID: "a very atmospheric and engrossing game with a delicious streak of dark humor coursing through its veins.. worth picking up for anybody with an interest in iOS gaming."
* JOYSTIQ: "It's a surprisingly funny, gorgeous game that's an easy recommendation... ram home the truth that mobile games are getting surprisingly good at creating big worlds on tiny screens."
* TOUCH ARCADE: "The Dark Meadow is a standout in almost every way. From look to setting to the touch-centric gameplay, it shines, and you can tell this title was crafted with much love "
* GIZMODO.UK: "a splendid achievement. The bar has been raised, the gauntlet has been thrown down, and the hyperbole has been exhausted. We can’t wait to see the next game that tries to go one better."
* MODOJO: "a cross between BioShock and Infinity Blade... a hauntingly beautiful and intriguing game everyone should play, as it offers both a compelling adventure and a glimpse into the future of smart phone gaming. "
* GAMEZEBO: "arguably the best title to come to the genre. It's gorgeous, it's creepy, and it's a blast to play. This is the perfect game to play during the Halloween season. "
A dark fairytale of intrigue and mystery, where the sins of the past must be paid for… So sets the stage for The Dark Meadow -- a visually stunning world of deep exploration, gripping story, and heart racing combat, created with the unrivaled power of the Unreal Engine 3.
You awake in a hospital uncertain of how you arrived there or why. An old man warns of a beautiful witch whose minions roam the halls seeking the living. It is only when the witch is destroyed that you will be released from this unrelenting torment.
Using fun and intuitive fully gesture-based controls, you explore the decaying ruins of Montclair Hospital, armed with your crossbow for long-range combat as well as your sword for up close and personal melee battles.
The best elements from role-playing games encourage exploration as a wide variety of items are secreted throughout the world – from hidden scraps of paper that reveal the mystery of your imprisonment, to weapons and items, to money which can be used to purchase better equipment and weapons.
- Visually stunning, photo-realistic world built with the Unreal 3 engine
- A mature plot, stylized as a dark modern fairytale with bizarre twists and turns;
- In-world storytelling and quality acting
- Gesture-based action: crossbow ranged combat with ‘pull back and fire’ mechanic, slashing melee combat with dodging, blocking, and combos;
- Available in English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean , Italian, Simplified Chinese, Russian, and Brazilian Portuguese languages.
-Fixed Retina support issues so graphics on mobile devices now render as they should
-Fixed a bug where health packs were not spawning in world as they should
-Adjusted enemy loot drops to be more generous
-Increased Sun Coin rewards from killstreaks
-Premium Game and upgrade now convert all costs of swords, crossbows, and amulets permanently into gold from sun coins (note: these will NO LONGER be available for sun coins after purchasing the premium upgrade or the premium version of the game)
Ratings and Reviews
Much better, after April 2012 update
I rated this game 5 stars when I first played it. I thought it was amazing. Great atmosphere, excellent storytelling, and decent enough gameplay that I didn't get frustrated and give up on the entire game. When Phosphor Games said they would be revisiting their initial "freemium" plans for the game, I worried about what it meant, but was pleased to hear that they'd leave the original as a separate purchase, preventing me from having to deal with any sort of crap related to the upgrade.
Upon the initial update to the "freemium" model, the game suffered from severe graphics aliasing and an unforgiving difficulty that appeared to be a ploy to force players to pay money to progress. Health packs were not spawning at all and gold drops seemed to have been drastically reduced, preventing reasonably timed weapon upgrades. As a result, boss fights became significantly more difficult.
Thankfully, the latest update has fixed the health pack spawning issue. Unfortunately, the rate at which gold is dropped, is still too low, which is why I'm only giving 4 stars instead of the 5 I gave for the initial release.
I've been a fan of this game since it came out. Proudly I say I've beaten it on all three endings. Saw the update and was thinking it would be nice then I saw it and nearly drooled rainbow gorgeousness. Sorry for my enthusiasm but the update made it spit and polished and I love it! The elevator was amazing I just I have no words to say how awesome it was. The teleporting ruins the work to fight through to your goal and new boss with the double bladed hands was exquisite but make him a bigger challenge. The new level made me feel like I was actually feeling the whole alternate dimension ordeal but the gauntlet set with the elevator made me sad. I dislike those in games. Fighting an even amount of enemies to cool your thirst for the boss' death helps but too many enemies drains the feel of still wanting to beat the boss. Graphics are much much better than before on enemies but patch the areas so they match the enemy graphics. He sun coins yes are undoubtedly annoying so add a gauntlet series where you fit more more and more difficult enemies much like the elevator sequence to earn those coins quickly for those awesome and funny weapons. Also on a last note maybe, make a fourth ending something goofy that'll be secret to find but make you laugh like hell or get a few chuckles from it. You guys did an amazing job keep doing what your doing it's gorgeous.
Great but the balance is off
I first rated this at 5 stars. Then after the past free-mium update, I rated it at a 1 star. Now, it's back up but not not all the way. Here is why. I like the content that was added, specifically the elevator section and staircase sections but the balance is terrible there. Monsters become impossible to beat without the use of sun bombs, an added weapon that basically lets you pass a monster without fighting. I don't like the sun bombs at all, it's just giving people a cheat. The problem is that you have to use them near the end. The final boss took ten sun bombs and nearly ten minutes of hacking with the sword to finally beat. There was no way I could have beaten him without the cheat bombs since it would have taken several hundreds of hits to drop his life bar down, and that's using a fairly high end sword.
- Phosphor Games, LLC
- 573.4 MB
Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation), iPod touch (6th generation), and iPod touch (7th generation).
English, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- ©2011 Phosphor Games, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- 35,000 Gold Pieces $0.99
- 100,000 Gold Pieces $1.99
- 300,000 Gold Pieces $4.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.