PandaPal - Autism Communication System is an affordable easy to use Communication System, designed by Kim Scott, M.S., CCC-SLP, Speech-Language Pathologist. This communication system allows verbally-impaired individuals to communicate and improves speech and language skills. Panda Pal uses real photos and an adorable gender-neutral panda bear, who is your child’s pal to help him/her communicate throughout their day!
Made in the USA!
* 3 APP’S IN ONE! “First & Then,” “Schedule Board” and an “AAC device” are all included in Panda Pal.
* Panda Pal comes with 12 common categories, how ever the user can add as many as needed. Categories can be deleted, added or replaced and customized to meet the needs of the user. Once a category is selected the user is taken to a new screen of that chosen page. Each page comes with a sample of approximately 20+ icons, all of which can also be modified to meet the specific needs of the user. PandaPal is as customizable as you would like to make it.
* Real HD photos are used in this app, so you wont see any confusing abstract drawings.
*Sign language photos were also used for certain high frequency words such as; “want,” “please,” “yes/no” and more.
* Words, phrases and entire messages are recorded in digitized speech, how ever users can choose to re-record in their own voice. Recorded speech provides natural prosody and allows the user to hear and model natural speech as opposed to difficult to understand ‘robotic speech.’
* Panda Pal provides incidental learning by teaching your child to read by placing words directly on top of each photo. Font size and style can be modified to meet your needs.
* Edit button allows you to design an app that meets the needs of the user. Add, delete, modify, re-record, upload photos, words only, photos only or add an additional language to your app! This entire app was designed to be modified to meet the individual needs of the user and to allow for language growth.
* “Touch-And-Hold” is a unique and one of a kind feature, designed by Kim Scott, M.S., CCC-SLP, to help prevent small hands from unintentionally tapping the wrong icons. When this feature is turned on, it requires that you touch and hold the intended icon or button for one second, as displayed by a progress meter, before activation occurs. Now for the first time, users can touch icons without accidentally selecting them. Touch-And-Hold is optional and can be turned on or off in settings.
*Icon size can easily be modified to fit your child’s needs. Extra large icons (2 icons fit the entire page) or as small as 24 icons per page for higher-level language learners.
*DATA collection! Just with one tap of the star button saves a sentence that your child created. Watch your child’s language develop and keep a record of your child’s success!
* “First & Then” is a program designed to teach children that one event must come before another. For example, “First do language activity” and “Then we can blow bubbles.” Simple select the events from the built in library or take a photo and add them into place of either ‘First’ or ‘Then.’
* “Schedule Board” allows you to create a schedule of events during the day or during simple activities. Just simply click the (+) button and add as many events as needed. Once the activity is completed just hit the edit button and delete them.
* “Basics Menu” is a revolutionary flip down tab found on every page that allows the user to add colors, shapes, numbers and letters to any page without having to navigate back to the home page and search for various categories. This unique feature was designed to eliminate frustration and improve efficient communication.
* Background Color can be changed to the users desirable color. Choose between 60 different colors!
The app has been completely revamped to allow more customization and adaptability, as required by the user.
Ratings and Reviews
Good AAC app
This is an app that can be used for communication, for picture schedules and for first-then activities. The picture sizes can be changed to 5 different sizes. It is easy to add pictures and record voice output for each picture. I really like the first-then feature. I can see this app used both by parents and in school settings. Overall I like the app. My only concern is that having the word in the middle of each pictures tends to "block" the picture. I wish that there was some choice of where the word could be placed, either at the top or bottom.
Great features but no SEARCH function :( 4 stars with that added
I picked this up for FREE and was surprised at all the great features, options (a first-then and schedule option!!) and customization of icon sizes, color etc. I also like the history feature where a user's utterances, or even past first-then boards, or schedules, can be pulled up for use again, along with info a helper can edit to include whether the utterance was independent, or prompted-that is a unique feature. One MAJOR glaring error though-which means I sadly won't be using it because it is not convenient the way it is currently set up- there is no SEARCH function to make it easy to quickly add photos on the fly with the schedule and first-then options-two features which really make this app awesome, as everything is all in one place. Right now you have to scroll through all the existing icons to the bottom, where the icons you save go... If you add a search feature I would definitely recommend this to those who want an all-in-one communication set up, and are willing to put in the time to customize it with their own vocabulary.
Great AAC app!
This app is actually 3 apps for the price of one. It's a visual schedule builder, first then board, and an AAC app all in one. If your student/child is very visual and can make multiple level choices in a communication app, this might be the app of choice for you! If you had this app on an iPad that will go between home and school, it could potentially used as a stand alone communication device.
One can create clear visual schedules that can be saved. When the schedule changes, it's easy to modify the schedule by moving the activities into a different order, adding a new activity or deleting an activity.
The first then board will be a helpful when positive behavior support is needed. One can save the boards and return to them later. They are easily edited as well.
Last, but not least, this app can be used as an alternative augmentative communication device on your iPad. It's easy to customize with your own pictures and voice. Frequently used requests/statements can be saved for repeated use. You can have 2 to 24 icons with custom font size and color on each page.
I like the ability to set the "touch and hold" feature to prevent accidental activation of unwanted icons.
This is a very affordable option for AAC! One of a handful of app options I will use when trialing different AAC apps/devices during AT and AAC evaluations.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.