Trickster - Quickly access relevant recent files, folders, and apps
What are others saying about Trickster?
- "Incredibly useful, nicely designed. The simple 'Help' is perfect" - Smile Software
- "A handy tool for tracking and working with documents, folders, and other data." - Macworld (4 mice)
- "Trickster is easy to figure out, fast, and looks nice." - $2-tuesday
- "Where Trickster does the trick for me is with its keyboard navigation." - Macstories
- "I’m always on the lookout for productivity boosters, and Trickster has me in love." - TheNextWeb
If you work with files, Trickster is the ultimate productivity booster for you.
Quickly access to your recently used documents, folders, and applications.
All your important stuff is now just a couple of clicks away, accessible from your menu bar.
Did you just open a document in Pages? It’s in Trickster.
Did you just download a file? Don’t bother searching your downloads folder. Trickster has it one click away.
Did Dropbox sync files from another computer? It's in Trickster.
Everything you were supposed to be working on is a click away, ready when you are.
Some of the things Trickster can do:
- Drag and drop files from Trickster to Finder or any other application like you'd do from Finder.
- Open files and applications from Trickster, preview them or reveal in Finder.
- Includes Preset filters to only display images, audio files, videos, documents, applications, folders and specific locations.
- Create your custom filters based on location, file types, Finder tags or string matching.
- Track only relevant files and ignore all the rest.
- Favorites "sticky" bar gives you fast access to your most frequently used files, folders, and applications. Drop files on a 'favorite' folder to move it there or drop on a 'favorite' application to open it with that particular app.
Trickster is 100% keyboard-friendly. For ultimate productivity and speed, you can use it entirely without a mouse or combine mouse with keyboard shortcuts and hotkeys.
- NEW: Add a preference to automatically scroll Trickster to top of the list and select top item after a period of inactivity or on every recall. Default is still to not do it, so that it defaults as in previous versions, unless changed in Preferences.
- Allow vertical dragging motion to start dragging a file instead of selecting more files. This is probably the more common use for that motion. Multiple files can still be selected with Shift or Command clicking
- Allow Trickster window to become smaller than it was
- If the anchor option is set (not to close Trickster’s window), it’ll now reappear after dragging a file out of the window. Trickster disappears when dragging out so as not to cover a potential dragging destination. But it was not coming back previously, even of anchor option in the window titlebar was selected
- “Open at cursor” option works correctly now when multiple screens are connected to the Mac
- Fix showing Trickster window on the correct screen when Trickster icon in the menubar is clicked and Trickster is in the “attached to menubar” state
- Add Hook icon to the collection of filter icons for custom filters
- Fix filtering of tags that include Capital letter
- Fix support for Hook version 2.2 and alter
- Fix filter icon position on macOS version prior to Big Sur
- Some fixes and improvements to tracking for new customers
Ratings and Reviews
Unorganized Guy’s Best Friend
I tend to save things in places that I don’t quite remembe where it was. And even when I do know where it is, it take many clicks to get to that folder. Trickster has made my life much easier as I know to go here right away. Being able to omit certain folders makes it better than the “all my files” view in the OS finder. Highly recommend.
Very useful tool!
I'm reminded of how quickly I can forget things. So I think I saved a file in one place but can't find it there. Did I drop it into the wrong folder? What was its name? Questions like these confounded me almost daily. But Trickster gives me easy access to a record of exactly things went. It really saves me time and aggravation!
Fanstastic tool. It’s essential to my daily workflow for video editing. Keeps new files right at my fingertips (such as downloading a new logo, then dragging from Trickster straight into Premiere, rather than having to dig through the folders in an import menu or Finder window before importing). Speeds things up.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apparent Software Inc.
- 5.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Apparent Software Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.