iPhone X support, Diagramless crosswords, on-screen cursor keys, improved keyboard, and more.
• You might say the iPhone X has an unusual screen shape. We certainly would. It took a bit of twisting, but we now fully support the “notch” and the curved corners.
• We’ve added diagramless crosswords! If you’re a New York Times subscriber, they have lots of great diagramless puzzles on their Archives page, and Puzzazz is the only way to solve them on your iOS device.
• There have been a lot of requests for on-screen cursor keys, and now they’re here. And, yes, they work for all the crazy puzzle types Puzzazz supports. Turn them on in the Settings menu.
• Keyboard keys now highlight when they’re pressed, helping you notice and correct typing mistakes quicker.
• We fixed a bunch of bugs, including better handling of puzzles with redacted solutions and resolving issues with some puzzles on small screen iPhones.
• 6.0.2 includes minor bug fixes for downloaded puzzles and on-screen keyboards
Ratings and Reviews
This is one impressive app
About the only real suggestion I have for the developers is that I wish there were puzzles besides crosswords for the Puzzle Downloads area. Otherwise, this app is perfect. You don't have to waste money on books that aren't at your level because you can try a puzzle(s) for free in each, and the $3 asking price a toss is quite reasonable for the quality of the brain teasers you get. Thumbs up!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your thoughts. We'd also like to see more types of puzzles available for download, but we don't control what independent authors post on their web sites. If there's an author you'd like to see, we suggest you contact them and ask them to make their puzzles available in ipuz format (see www.ipuz.org).
Love this app
It took a little practice with the Apple Pencil to get the letters right consistently but it works great now! I love the variety of puzzles and the fact that I can do one or two in each book before deciding whether to buy the book or not.
I’ve always enjoyed crossword puzzles in paper form but not so much on the iPad until I discovered Puzzazz. Being able to write in the answers as opposed to typing on a little keyboard, makes it perfect for me.
Apple Pencil - no help section
I have at length looked for tutorials of how to use the Apple Pencil with the different puzzles on Puzzazz but have yet to find one, and while most of the writing technique is pretty intuitive, I’m extremely frustrated that there is not an easily find-able guide to how to write letters and numbers for each type of puzzle and what might be the most efficient way to use the Pencil on each puzzle. The only reason to use this app is because you want to utilize your Pencil while playing games making the omission of a help section especially problematic, hence the one star review. It would be a five star review if this matter was addressed.
Developer Response ,
Tap the ? on the top of the home to access our extensive help. "Handwriting Recognition" is the second item. Open that for complete documentation on how our TouchWrite handwriting recognition work, including how to best use the Apple Pencil with your iPad Pro and what letter forms work best. With regard to your specific question about how best to use the Apple Pencil in each puzzle type, the Pencil (or your finger) works the same in every puzzle. This is one of the strengths of Puzzazz — just like with paper, you don't have to learn new methods for each type of puzzle. Just write naturally. Please let us know if there's anything you think is missing from that documentation.
- 141.7 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Puzzazz, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- A Daily Crossword Book One $2.99
- Puzzling Pairs 1 $0.99
- Show Me The Vowels 1 $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.