Spelling Star is the perfect app for practicing your spelling lists. Create lists by entering words and recording the audio. Practice spelling each word correctly three times to become a Spelling Star!
● One of the top-rated spelling apps available.
● New share list feature is perfect for teachers that want to create lists and share with their students.
● Share Lists - create lists on one device and share them with anyone else that has the Spelling Star app.
● Copy Lists - click a button to make a copy of any list on your device. Perfect for parents with multiple kids or teachers that want to individualize lists based on student needs - add challenge words or modify lists for accommodations.
● Immediate Feedback - students get immediate feedback after each word as they practice.
● Progress Indicator - parents/teachers can monitor the progress of their students as they work towards mastering their list.
● Easy, Effective & Engaging - we've built this app to be easy and effective for students. There aren't a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that distract students from the goal of practicing their spelling words, but the stars they receive keep them engaged.
WHY IT WORKS:
● Your Actual Spelling Words
You add the word lists that spellers are studying at school or home. Record each word or use a sentence to make the word meaning clear. Words are presented in a random order so spellers are ready to spell them in any order on a test or in a spelling bee. Some users have shared that having their children add and record their word lists has been another good way to practice each week. Practice anytime, anywhere!
● Mastery Practice
Spellers practice their words until they are mastered. Spellers earn a star each time they correctly spell a word without a hint. Three stars equal a mastered word. When a speller has mastered a word, Spelling Star will remove that word from the practice cycle. This allows spellers to focus on words that need extra practice. Individual words or full lists can easily be reset if additional practice is desired.
● Immediate Formative Feedback
Spelling Star immediately lets a speller know how they did on each word. It also provides them the option to redo the word right away if an error is made. Spellers can move on if desired, but the ability to fix an error on the spot reinforces the correct spelling. No more waiting until the end of the whole list to find out how they are doing on each word.
● Summative Feedback
At the end of each practice cycle, Spelling Star provides feedback for the entire list and provides the option to immediately practice it again. Spelling Star also provides a quick view of progress towards list mastery within the list selection screen. Spelling Star makes it easy to see how close spellers are to mastery.
● Audio and Hints
Spelling Star replays the recorded audio as many times as desired with no penalty towards mastery. If a speller is stuck, they simply tap the hint button to get a quick look at the word so they can finish it. While a hint won’t count towards mastery, it gets the speller un-stuck and prevents frustration. Spellers can then practice the word again or move on.
Bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Great we can add our own words...
Looking for an app to practice kids spelling words on the go. It does just that and only that. The hint feature shows the word, which is not a hint, it's simply the answer. Would like to be able to shut off "hint" feature.
Developer Response ,
The hint is designed for frustration-free practice. As you noted, this is a practice app, not a testing app, so we want students to be able to hear and see the word as much as possible. Turning off the "hint" feature would lead to frustration during the mastery practice cycle. Thanks for the review!
Best spelling app out there!!
I've said this many times, this is the best spelling app. I love how we can record a sentence for each word you put in. You can share the list with a class, which makes it great for teachers. It makes a positive sound when you've spelled the word correctly which is positive reenforcement. You can reset the list after the child has spelled each word correctly after 3 times. It's great to take on the go, my son does his spelling words in the car or at my other son's soccer practice. It's a great way to get your kid excited about spelling. We use it weekly and my son does get 100% on his spelling about 98% of the time. We love it!!
I can already tell this will be a helpful part of his study. My 6th grader usually doesn't have a problem with subjects in school. But spelling is difficult. In just two days of study with the app, he can spell all the words on the list. In fact, yesterday afternoon I asked him to go over the words once and he said that he went through the list until he had 3 stars on each! I like that I can record a sentence to go with each word, or even a definition. And the ability to import a list makes it easy to switch between devices for review. Thank you!!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Top Class Apps, LLC
- 45.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012 Top Class Apps, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.